Cliffy hole protector = harder to play ?!

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
Gritboy
MAACA New Contributor

Cliffy hole protector = harder to play ?!

Post by Gritboy »

I install cliffy hole protector on my last action hero .
This is my second set i use because the first one was too thick and the ball jumped on the edge instead of fall in the hole . Do i need to adjust (bend) the plate behind the scoop or is it normal ? Maybe my game was easyer because the hole was wider without the cliffy hole protector and now it is normal ? Any suggestion will be apreciate !
(Sorry about my english ,its my second language )
Thanks !
pinball: last action hero ,bally eight ball
jukebox: seeburg std2 vogue, NSM firebird II
Gone: cue ball wizard
Wtb: TFTC, RFM, maverick, judge dredd, munster,
Eight ball deluxe

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Cliffy hole protector = harder to play ?!

Post by Murphelman »

Did you do anything to prepare the scoop hole before installing the cliffy? Depending on how worn it is you have to fill in the wear spots to make sure the cliffy installs properly.
Own
Stern: , Iron Maiden, Godzilla, TMNT., Foo Fighters, Rush, Meteor
Bally/Williams:Dr. Who, Jack*Bot, Demo Man,
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Strange World
Bally: 8 Ball Deluxe
Williams:
JJP: N/A
Wishlist
Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Taxi
:mrgreen:

Gritboy
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Gritboy »

I don't repair the hole before ,because i install them in prevention and i like the finish of the product. Its looking nice buts i cannot play with them on my machine .... do you think the angle of the scoop can change something ? I don't know originally how the scoop was bend ?
pinball: last action hero ,bally eight ball
jukebox: seeburg std2 vogue, NSM firebird II
Gone: cue ball wizard
Wtb: TFTC, RFM, maverick, judge dredd, munster,
Eight ball deluxe

Drano
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Drano »

Unfortunately this is just how Cliff's protectors are.
On most games they have zero effect on gameplay because the holes they protect usually have pretty hard shots coming in and out (like scoops).
On my Tron and XM the hole also allowed slower balls to roll in from the side. The constant banging of the scoop from the front would eventually warp the metal just enough to raise a millimetre or two... enough to stop the ball from rolling in from the side.
In the end I had to remove them and protect the hole with clear Mylar. This is fine for NIB machines, but obviously not ideal if you are trying to cover damage.

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Toeckeder »

The mode start hole protector on TOMMY makes it definitely harder to play. Diameter is tight, it creates a sharp edge and many shots will roll around the hole and exit.
Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, BALLY PLAYBOY, RUSH LE, RIVERBOAT GAMBLER
WTB: NO Vacancy
Vid: MAME #1, TEMPEST, NUCLEUS CANNON, MAME #2, NAMCO Reunion Class of '81
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY, F-14 TOMCAT, BLACKOUT, ALGAR, FIREPOWER II, ABRACADABRA, EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE