THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by Guard »

Just contemplating my options after doing a retirement seminar last night. Can go in a little over two years but I'm thinking I have to go 5 more.......still, walking away at 63 isn't too bad. Sell everything and live the RV nomad life like I've always dreamed.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Sparky wrote:I think it's just people tired of winter. February is just fucking pure evil. LOL
February is half way done, but the first half was freakin' cold indeed and everyone at work and in my other entourages were dragging their asses under layers of clothes and somber thoughts. Coats, gloves, boots and all the trimmings were the order each time you went somewhere and again when you left somewhere to get back to where there was some warmth to be had.

Personally haven't had too bad of a time on the seasonal disorder front as in previous years, so I think I will make it to springtime in one piece. Very excited about the wonderful times ahead sporting shorts and t-shirt.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

MCS
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by MCS »

I’m sitting at the airport in New Orleans waiting for my flight to board after spending Mardi Gras here with some wonderful friends. It was a trip we talked about doing for years, but kept putting off. Then we realized we’d never do it unless we just booked it and made it work. So we did. And has it ever been good for the soul!

Looking forward to getting in some pinball in Toronto before heading back to Ottawa. There was only one place in New Orleans with machines on location worth visiting (which I did while waiting for my friends to arrive) and I met someone who knew about Ottawa Punk Pinball so that was kind of cool.

I’ll do what I can to bring back some of the nice weather. :)

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

"Temperature risin', the jukebox blowin' a fuse."

Not really, but maybe later tonight. i.e. "Well in the evening when the sun is sinking low, all day I have been waiting for the whistle to blow."

Therefore, working today at the North Star shop with James and two apprentices preparing the next machines for rotation. After lunch, it's the weekly maintenance and line up check up at the North Star, as every Saturday. Looks like new people wanna play, even in the winter, A whole new generation is turning on to real pinball in Montreal, this is a responsibility I take somewhat seriously.

Yabo !

Carry on I say, and make it count, or don't do it at all.

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

WoW, not a boring job for sure ;-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

cdnpinballer
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cdnpinballer »

I remember visiting the Augustine Monastery/ Brewery in 2005 and the beer was sensational. Enjoy!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Guard wrote:Just contemplating my options after doing a retirement seminar last night. Can go in a little over two years but I'm thinking I have to go 5 more.......still, walking away at 63 isn't too bad. Sell everything and live the RV nomad life like I've always dreamed.
I'm sure the maaca crew can make room for your pins, so whenever you pull into a city you'll be able to ring people up and flip them once again! :)
Does the RV lifestyle exist much in Canada, given the months of rougher weather? Or would you travel Southern roads more?
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Hang on.....I'm still working on the gutting the RV to hold some PINS idea.... :D
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

found a Bad Girls pinball machine hiding behind GG Allin and friends
Attachments
ggallin.jpg
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

Sparky wrote:Just chillin in Austria for the week, getting some training. Regardless of not sleeping in 36hrs, I took the time yesterday to visit Salzburg. I walked along the Salzach river, visited Mozart's birthplace, listened to an orchestra by the Mozart conseratory, walked along the Katacombes, soaked in the views and the art at the Museum Der Moderne and had a beer at the Augustine monastery.

Not a bad day. LOL

And Wednesday I plan on hitting a pinball joint 2kms away from my hotel, in the hopes of playing some European flipper.
Salzburg is very close to the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden. I believe there is a bus tour from Salzburg. Interesting place of history if you're into that! Beautiful area to visit that you are in.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Yesterday February 24th was another landmark day for spreading pinball sub culture in Montreal.

The North Star successfully installed it's second location in downtown Montreal, this time on Bishop street just below Ste.Catherine.

This bar is a popular & very cool hang out called Pistolero @ 1238 Bishop street amongst a well known strip of established bars. Since this is a themed location we installed machines to match the decor.

GTB "Fast Draw"
GTB "Golden Arrow"
BLY "Dolly Parton"

I was there tonight, and let's just say that this has already made waves on that street. I felt right at home.
Patrons are freaked out at the eclectic feel of these vintage pinballs slowly making a comeback downtown. They are remembering and telling the stories which are inevitably associated to their relationship with pinball. This gives me a fizz.

27892479_1960241954304175_1877828365453361152_n.jpg

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Decided to search for 'pinball' on Netflix for some reasons.

Nothing much to be seen but I did watch the 'Atari: Game Over' documentary. Interesting...

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

Azatotht wrote:Decided to search for 'pinball' on Netflix for some reasons.
Nothing much to be seen but I did watch the 'Atari: Game Over' documentary. Interesting...
I remember watching Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball the first month netflix was available in Canada.
Today itunes has a couple pinball documentaries for rent and Vimeo has the Spooky pinball documentary https://vimeo.com/170208797
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

This is going to be a tough post to press the "submit" tab on when I am done editing, but I have rarely been scared of doing things, especially when it comes to expressing ideas. So if my writing gets on your nerves, (you know, that righteous tone I have about fighting for something different than what is the norm) please move on. I no longer care about your ideas and justifications and you likely don't care about mine. There is no need to try to understand eachother right here. We can not change when we are confrontational/righteous angry and/or sport a dumb demeanor. We are who we are and we do not need to spout hurtful judgemental non-sense at eachother. It leads to nothing, and we are certainly and always at our most stupid when we react angrily to something others say or do. I know that there alot of you who will not understand what is below, and you may even get indignant, so be it, and may God bless you on your path. (I use the word God merely as an expression)

WARNING : this will be a long post, and if you are not one of the people I described above, please read on and I strongly recommend that you invest a little time instead of surfing the net when you are looking for answers or entertainment in hopes to quell your disenchantment with your present context. There are very few "answers" to what we are feeling these days in our deep loneliness and desperation in the face of that so common lack of meaning which we are likely living through our jobs, our family lives, our hobbies/interests, an over abudance of information (most of it useless in providing contentment) and in our facing the tribulations which others randomly bring onto your context along with the very real void of happening to finding yourself alive in these times instead of another place or time. You and I just happen to find ourselves in this particular here and now with no say, mainly because there was no you to decide to come into being. If you acknowledge yourself as being among the malcontent humans of these times, you may find an answer of sorts in what is below. I offer this to you in hopes that it may help you through what you may be living during these times. I offer this to you with all my hopes at finding your own voice.

Possibly the best thing I ever wrote on MAACA is quoted below in bold, following an intro which I think needs to preamble it.

And to back up my quote about trusting yourself, I have added a youtube link to a letter one of my favorite authors sent to another man who felt lost much like alot of creative and questioning people often do. After studying the words and thoughts and philosophy of those carefully chosen words in the letter read by its' recipient, my life thus far has begun making more sense to me for now, and I know that I am not crazy in believing that I am free and never obligated in any way to go with the flow of my upbringing, my education or the morals that I have been conditioned to believe as the unwavering truth as a path to a normal and orderly life which is suppose to bring me contentment. I am not part of the norm, and I never was all along, even though I secretly wanted to be as I tried to conform but failed each and every time. Each time I have not followed my gut in the face of a decision, I have paid for it down the line. But that is OK, the norm remains secure for many of us, and you can certainly go with the traffic and be happy, but remember and make sure that you convince yourself that you had no choice. No worries, you will have plenty of company. I think that I am just not part of that group and I have now finally accepted this and can move on. I know that I am part of a group of craziods that swim towards goals and finds no joy or peace in floating with the tide. Albeit, the floating may be useful to me occasionally in order to rest, but I believe that this floating will be useful for much later in my life. So , I believe that I am on my way to sorting out the non-sense of my present context in being true to myself in the deepest sense of what that means.

I admit to being very close to being happy as February winds down, and this did not come without years of pain and work. Hence, I feel a certain obligation as a human being to give back to some of the members on MAACA who have followed, listened and read my depressive ramblings of what I have written here over the past 7 years or so. I know that many of you are afraid to post back in accordance or disapproval, but I know deep inside me that many of us are living similar difficult things and are painfully questioning a course of action. We are never really alone even in our darkest hours, we just feel that we are and often feel shame and/or fear in admitting to being lost. We just need to talk to someone we trust when we feel shitty, it seems to help for some reason I will not discuss here. Yes, these are weird times, (for men especially, as the world changes much like women do in the later phases of their lives) and it may be for the better. Men are taking a beating for remaining the goal oriented beasts that we are at base - regardless, and as much as we try to make the world a better and more caring place, we can not change 10,000 generations in 50 years right now, no matter what the new age opinions and speculations on the www says. The song remains the same and an individual will always have a need to matter while freedom remains the most important aspect of our existence which we need to preserve and defend, for men and women. The real goal is to not hurt eachother in order to gain a sense of power over one another. We indeed need to care about more than ourselves, so I post this in hopes that it will bring you something more than what I have attempted to communicate thus far.

Margeret Atwood summed it up best in her quote,

‘Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.’

In other words, leave and/or exercise & practice respect in all situations. We are all at our dumbest when we are angry, we have seen this on MAACA and in our real life many many times.

When it comes to so called "professionals", it is essential for freakin' mindful and driven guys like us who have a good idea of who we are at base to firmly separate the wheat from the chaff. I may tend to trust a little too much vis a vis people with credentials, especially when I am feeling doubtful about my essence. Hell, one must always keep in mind that "they" are also just poor vulnerable humans like us with their own personal problems and challenges and bullshit. So one necessarily needs to take "some", and leave "some" based on the clear and concise goals that we know reside in our gut and also learn to leave behind what is just dumb formulated popular psychological tailored/trendy flavours of the month talk meant to empower all the dummies and lost souls which we are, all floating aimlessly and depressed somewhere/somehow. Then again, the latter may be too judgmental, everyone deserves a chance at happiness and peacefulness and some impression of being content, even if it turns out to be a lie, who cares. It can't hurt the overall social consciousness in the end and I guess that this is why pop psychology is so rampant and seemingly necessary these days. Everybody I know who has been through the mill and has seeked out help from these corporate based help services are now all talking the same way. It makes for very dull exchanges, but we are all happy now aren't we ? 

Yes, it seems that people in the first world are having serious anxiety problems due to an abundance of information often presented in a catastrophic manner by the medias and are therefore developing confidence issues while trying to get back to a state of normal in order to do their daily tasks. So it goes to follow that the real goal of these hired counselors is to keep the population populating and working at jobs they hate and it has become very necessary to keep things rolling even if they go against our real nature as diverse and creative creatures. Yet real life will continue to deal out painful and joyful issues even when your humanity is reduced to doing the same tasks everyday while having no say in what you are asked to do. Hell, most people have no voice at all as to what they do day in day out, it is like a new slavery. It use to be picking cotton and now it is about entering data and sitting in front of a screen all day clicking and typing in shit. And it seems that this lack of a voice for the majority of us poor schmucks is becoming more and more evident as technology dictates and controls our tasks while the powers that be are so conveniently removed from the general population's grasp while underhandedly allowing us the impression of having a say, but it is only an impression, they don't give a flying fuck what you think. In fact, we have little or no say as individuals in the face of what we have to endure in order to gain something close to a living wage. Being someone else's meal demands a certain resignation I guess, and that is what these aid to employee programs are meant to make you swallow. And that is not something absolutely everyone can tolerate. Some give in and look for small personal pleasures to compensate the pain of having no voice and no effect on their environment, while others continue to demand a voice. They will eventually and necessarily be quieted as they get weaker.

Some of us are born and educated to be "driven", - by what you ask ? I don't really know. But I do understand drive, although I do not always steer like a pro in order to achieve what I think I need to get to. Life remains a god-dam twisted journey and my goals of late have become unclear for some reason, I do not know exactly why. I strongly believe that is really where the problem begins to fester in my case. I know that being content and happy are an essential part of the idea of wanting to stay alive, but it seems that in the later phases of life this can only be maintained by an accepting approach and attitude to all the craziness and bullshit populating one's environment that "they" tell us we can not change. I know that there are many corporate clowns and processional puppets around me, but there are also very smart people who make alot less noise and thus are more difficult to hear and notice. They move contently through life while expressing themselves ever so subtlety and sharing only with those who have the right set of ears. The real danger to me remains in becoming an idiot by accepting things blindly in order to reach that desirable state of happiness. Acceptance should not equal indifference, but as you get older the desire and strength to fight to make things right in your life wanes like all the other characteristics which you embody. 

Hence Bukowski was right when he said, "We are almost all born geniuses and buried idiots." we get tired of fighting for being heard through a choir of drunken and persistently loud and dulling song.

I need to think about this and come to another answer than what "the professionals" want me to be in order for me to stay at my post.

Finally, hugs -

R.A.B.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

@Rob. I guess I'm one of those dumbfucks that go with the flow.
Sometimes the answer is right in our face and we refuse to see it.
Maybe there is no afterlife. Maybe there is no meaning of life.
Far from debilitating, this is really liberating.
Whereas you had no say in a hypothetical meaning of life,
only you and your free will can choose your life's purpose.
It appears your life's purpose was to help people have fun.
For that and every time you help me, I am extremely grateful.
Thank you Rob.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Just to seal this in time...

1000th reply achieved.
7D9CE5FB-2B16-44D3-874F-B0C452364472.jpeg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

I'm the star ting them things wif Speek n Reed!

Zap!
Attachments
20180301_112834.jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

R.A.B. wrote:This is going to be a tough post to press the "submit" tab on when I am done editing, but I have rarely been scared of doing things, especially when it comes to expressing ideas. So if my writing gets on your nerves, (you know, that righteous tone I have about fighting for something different than what is the norm) please move on. I no longer care about your ideas and justifications and you likely don't care about mine. There is no need to try to understand eachother right here. We can not change when we are confrontational/righteous angry and/or sport a dumb demeanor. We are who we are and we do not need to spout hurtful judgemental non-sense at eachother. It leads to nothing, and we are certainly and always at our most stupid when we react angrily to something others say or do. I know that there alot of you who will not understand what is below, and you may even get indignant, so be it, and may God bless you on your path. (I use the word God merely as an expression)

WARNING : this will be a long post, and if you are not one of the people I described above, please read on and I strongly recommend that you invest a little time instead of surfing the net when you are looking for answers or entertainment in hopes to quell your disenchantment with your present context. There are very few "answers" to what we are feeling these days in our deep loneliness and desperation in the face of that so common lack of meaning which we are likely living through our jobs, our family lives, our hobbies/interests, an over abudance of information (most of it useless in providing contentment) and in our facing the tribulations which others randomly bring onto your context along with the very real void of happening to finding yourself alive in these times instead of another place or time. You and I just happen to find ourselves in this particular here and now with no say, mainly because there was no you to decide to come into being. If you acknowledge yourself as being among the malcontent humans of these times, you may find an answer of sorts in what is below. I offer this to you in hopes that it may help you through what you may be living during these times. I offer this to you with all my hopes at finding your own voice.

Possibly the best thing I ever wrote on MAACA is quoted below in bold, following an intro which I think needs to preamble it.

And to back up my quote about trusting yourself, I have added a youtube link to a letter one of my favorite authors sent to another man who felt lost much like alot of creative and questioning people often do. After studying the words and thoughts and philosophy of those carefully chosen words in the letter read by its' recipient, my life thus far has begun making more sense to me for now, and I know that I am not crazy in believing that I am free and never obligated in any way to go with the flow of my upbringing, my education or the morals that I have been conditioned to believe as the unwavering truth as a path to a normal and orderly life which is suppose to bring me contentment. I am not part of the norm, and I never was all along, even though I secretly wanted to be as I tried to conform but failed each and every time. Each time I have not followed my gut in the face of a decision, I have paid for it down the line. But that is OK, the norm remains secure for many of us, and you can certainly go with the traffic and be happy, but remember and make sure that you convince yourself that you had no choice. No worries, you will have plenty of company. I think that I am just not part of that group and I have now finally accepted this and can move on. I know that I am part of a group of craziods that swim towards goals and finds no joy or peace in floating with the tide. Albeit, the floating may be useful to me occasionally in order to rest, but I believe that this floating will be useful for much later in my life. So , I believe that I am on my way to sorting out the non-sense of my present context in being true to myself in the deepest sense of what that means.

I admit to being very close to being happy as February winds down, and this did not come without years of pain and work. Hence, I feel a certain obligation as a human being to give back to some of the members on MAACA who have followed, listened and read my depressive ramblings of what I have written here over the past 7 years or so. I know that many of you are afraid to post back in accordance or disapproval, but I know deep inside me that many of us are living similar difficult things and are painfully questioning a course of action. We are never really alone even in our darkest hours, we just feel that we are and often feel shame and/or fear in admitting to being lost. We just need to talk to someone we trust when we feel shitty, it seems to help for some reason I will not discuss here. Yes, these are weird times, (for men especially, as the world changes much like women do in the later phases of their lives) and it may be for the better. Men are taking a beating for remaining the goal oriented beasts that we are at base - regardless, and as much as we try to make the world a better and more caring place, we can not change 10,000 generations in 50 years right now, no matter what the new age opinions and speculations on the www says. The song remains the same and an individual will always have a need to matter while freedom remains the most important aspect of our existence which we need to preserve and defend, for men and women. The real goal is to not hurt eachother in order to gain a sense of power over one another. We indeed need to care about more than ourselves, so I post this in hopes that it will bring you something more than what I have attempted to communicate thus far.

Margeret Atwood summed it up best in her quote,

‘Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.’

In other words, leave and/or exercise & practice respect in all situations. We are all at our dumbest when we are angry, we have seen this on MAACA and in our real life many many times.

When it comes to so called "professionals", it is essential for freakin' mindful and driven guys like us who have a good idea of who we are at base to firmly separate the wheat from the chaff. I may tend to trust a little too much vis a vis people with credentials, especially when I am feeling doubtful about my essence. Hell, one must always keep in mind that "they" are also just poor vulnerable humans like us with their own personal problems and challenges and bullshit. So one necessarily needs to take "some", and leave "some" based on the clear and concise goals that we know reside in our gut and also learn to leave behind what is just dumb formulated popular psychological tailored/trendy flavours of the month talk meant to empower all the dummies and lost souls which we are, all floating aimlessly and depressed somewhere/somehow. Then again, the latter may be too judgmental, everyone deserves a chance at happiness and peacefulness and some impression of being content, even if it turns out to be a lie, who cares. It can't hurt the overall social consciousness in the end and I guess that this is why pop psychology is so rampant and seemingly necessary these days. Everybody I know who has been through the mill and has seeked out help from these corporate based help services are now all talking the same way. It makes for very dull exchanges, but we are all happy now aren't we ? 

Yes, it seems that people in the first world are having serious anxiety problems due to an abundance of information often presented in a catastrophic manner by the medias and are therefore developing confidence issues while trying to get back to a state of normal in order to do their daily tasks. So it goes to follow that the real goal of these hired counselors is to keep the population populating and working at jobs they hate and it has become very necessary to keep things rolling even if they go against our real nature as diverse and creative creatures. Yet real life will continue to deal out painful and joyful issues even when your humanity is reduced to doing the same tasks everyday while having no say in what you are asked to do. Hell, most people have no voice at all as to what they do day in day out, it is like a new slavery. It use to be picking cotton and now it is about entering data and sitting in front of a screen all day clicking and typing in shit. And it seems that this lack of a voice for the majority of us poor schmucks is becoming more and more evident as technology dictates and controls our tasks while the powers that be are so conveniently removed from the general population's grasp while underhandedly allowing us the impression of having a say, but it is only an impression, they don't give a flying fuck what you think. In fact, we have little or no say as individuals in the face of what we have to endure in order to gain something close to a living wage. Being someone else's meal demands a certain resignation I guess, and that is what these aid to employee programs are meant to make you swallow. And that is not something absolutely everyone can tolerate. Some give in and look for small personal pleasures to compensate the pain of having no voice and no effect on their environment, while others continue to demand a voice. They will eventually and necessarily be quieted as they get weaker.

Some of us are born and educated to be "driven", - by what you ask ? I don't really know. But I do understand drive, although I do not always steer like a pro in order to achieve what I think I need to get to. Life remains a god-dam twisted journey and my goals of late have become unclear for some reason, I do not know exactly why. I strongly believe that is really where the problem begins to fester in my case. I know that being content and happy are an essential part of the idea of wanting to stay alive, but it seems that in the later phases of life this can only be maintained by an accepting approach and attitude to all the craziness and bullshit populating one's environment that "they" tell us we can not change. I know that there are many corporate clowns and processional puppets around me, but there are also very smart people who make alot less noise and thus are more difficult to hear and notice. They move contently through life while expressing themselves ever so subtlety and sharing only with those who have the right set of ears. The real danger to me remains in becoming an idiot by accepting things blindly in order to reach that desirable state of happiness. Acceptance should not equal indifference, but as you get older the desire and strength to fight to make things right in your life wanes like all the other characteristics which you embody. 

Hence Bukowski was right when he said, "We are almost all born geniuses and buried idiots." we get tired of fighting for being heard through a choir of drunken and persistently loud and dulling song.

I need to think about this and come to another answer than what "the professionals" want me to be in order for me to stay at my post.

Finally, hugs -

R.A.B.
Gonzo
Gonzeaux

Be ourselves, be something
No limit on self development

Float or swim-choose
The goal is secondary

Act of will - choice is a path
9th path - Look for it - search

Bank-Coil
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Bank-Coil »

for me the overriding sentiment in your exposition is is that you have a desire to share and help others.
Of all the philosophies I have explored, the non-conformist stances I have taken, and the searching I have done, that one idea has grounded and directed me.
Meaning is derived by what you can give and what you provide. Life is about feeling needed. Existential grounding comes from being relevant to others.
Give freely of your knowledge and love. Give until it hurts to do so (as sacrifice is the ultimate in giving). It is in the giving that we can understand ourselves and our place in the world.
One more thing, sometimes giving means allowing others an opportunity to give to you, providing opportunities for others to reinforce their worthiness. Don't be selfish in your giving as some are in their taking. Find a balance that feels right.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

A few clarifications, and thanks to all that have posted their thoughts about what I tried to express.

@ cap – I never called you, or anyone else who “floats” a dumbfuck. You called yourself that, and this is both bold and humble in a twisted kind of way. For this, I would like to nominate you as honorary president of MAACA, but that is not my place.

I am glad I have helped you out, but that is just my job and certainly not my main purpose in life. I think that helping people have fun is a consequence of who I am via the career I have chosen. Simple as that. Keep flippin' & fixin' Clement, I am sure that you are a good person inside like the majority of us, just keep an eye on the outside of your being.

@WARLOCK – as usual my friend you have captured the crux of my lengthy post and I believe that you have summed it up well. Thank you. Now if people want to read my lengthy post quoted above your words, they might be lured in by your precise & accurate summary. Thanks for keeping people questioning.

@ bank-coil - “Don't be selfish in your giving as some are in their taking. Find a balance that feels right.”

I believe your quote to be more than appropriate in our present first world context. These times are getting more demanding for middle aged adults as we are stretched by those coming on and those above us who require care as they age and head for the final exit. Hence, we are subject to the bitter angels below & above us who are necessarily fighting for less and less resources. This, coupled with their sense of self-importance and we are into a demanding scenario. For the younger ones it is nitro-fueled by social media, and for the older ones it is exhausting itself through the for lone rags of growing old, but in both cases, that sense of self-righteousness and demands for attention have become a powerful voice. We are no longer in a post war economy here, and the crunch is coming faster than we'd like to admit. The bloated overfed rats will likely leave the ship soon.

R.A.B.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Between the 13th floor and ground.

I left for work earlier than usual this morning in hopes to get done with this day a little faster. I know that this is not a reasonable thought. Just goes to show you how confused and tired I am these days. But with every wrong may come a right, and this time it began to happen when the elevator stopped on the 8th floor on the way down from the 13th. (there is no 13th floor in my building, I am on the 14th apparently. It was built in the 60’s when people believed in something or other)

The elevator stops, the doors open and a neighbour I know on a casual “comment ca va ?” basis comes in, winter clothes, work gear strapped & loaded on her. We don’t know eachother by name, but we have exchanged many casual conversations & niceities in the past year or so in and around the building last summer and fall.

“What’s new ?” she says. ”Haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Routine mostly, you know, the winter blahs and all. Looking forward to spring. How about you, quoi de neuf ?”

That was her cue, that is all she needed, a little attention and she just took the stage from there to the ground floor.

“This period of the year fucking sucks. C’est de la merde. Tous va mal and it seems like there is no end in sight. Je me plie en quatre pour mes patrons, je travail fort en maudit sans aucun signe d’appreciation de mon equipe, my teen won’t talk to me anymore et ma vie amoureuse est dans la poubelle. I am so fucking sick and tired of all this snow and cold and crap, just totally fucking fed up !”

She stopped suddenly. All I could think to say was that things will get better. We were almost on the ground floor by then and she simply said, -

“I am sorry for all this, I think it had to come out. Je m’excuse pour la vulgarité.”

That was my cue as she fell silent and the elevator doors opened. I told her not to apologize and I that I felt the same way about things in general and that I completely understood everything she said and that she has no idea how deeply I understand all that she exclaimed so clearly and naturally. Told her that I am completely familiar with this period of the year being full of despair laced with a deep shitty sense of futility likely due to seasonal disorder or whatever the hell those so called professionals have named this very normal condition in Nordic countries where levels of alcoholism tend to be statistically higher for a damn good reason. (I didn’t tell her the last part) We are cold and tired and fed up of fighting to be under a warm clear light of good company and appreciation.

“ So you feel this too ? “ she asked.

“Yes I do.”

“Well, at least I know it isn’t just me.”

That is the crux of it, we usually are feeling the same things as others in our entourage, but to varying degrees but nobody says anything about it when they feel bad, there is a certain social shame in admitting this to strangers. We think that we are alone, we’re not, only sometimes. And when the seasons change, we will not be completely alone either in feeling better.

We came to the front entrance of our building and gave eachother words of encouragement and a friendly hug as we went off to our respective jobs. We do not know eachother by name, just a neighbour my age. I know that there are many others who feel they have no real support these days in what they are living, but I know that a new spring will come and another shot at life will occur once again. In the meantime, I am going to talk to more people any chance I get (YIKES !!) until spring gets here, then I will breathe that in so I will likely talk less by then.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

There are so many opportunities in life. They cross your path every single day, even if you are not paying attention. It is really about how many you catch and not about how many you miss, even though the latter tends to still piss me off somewhat.

Strangely enough, choices tend to narrow options down as soon as you make a choice and aim for the goal. Then the limitations kick in as you get closer. Choices become less evident and random paths of action seem less open which limits you even more, that is where you have to play it smart or fail, as if the moment before making the goal demands one final action that can be no other. Looks like limitations are part of being goal oriented. There is no getting around choice until you can't make them anymore which seems to come at the very end of your existence. When you got to go, you just got to go. Choice dies with you.

So for now, we make choices and live with the limitations they bring on as we get to whatever goal we spotted, what else you gonna do except..... You can float and enjoy the calm of that, or you can swim towards a goal over and over again until you exhaust the last bit of life in you. Again, many of us are like dumb salmon in a way, programmed to swim up river until we become decrepit and turn belly up at the last goal post up river. But for now, consolation is that there are always choices to be made while you consider yourself alive.

R.A.B. the salmon man.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Opportunities and misses...
Choices and open doors...
Random paths + action...
Limitations and goals...

It is fascinating how we define and purpose ourselves...
Then we re-evaluate, alter our perception, change our perspective and then re-purpose ourselves.

Floating along or swimming along, while we ponder it all... or not...

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

It is tragic in a way, we become trapped through our choices. Choices are often associated with freedom, and yet whenever I make one based on an innate drive to achieve, I feel limitations come on and have to swim again.

It is like I am being manipulated by something I don't quite think is of my making. I guess it is better to believe in choices as being our own, makes us responsible, which is a damn good thing to have to own up to in a society like ours.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Parts, ideas & gout

I got an e-mail at work a while back from a MAACA member requesting some parts. Well, nothing new really, except that he was coming in from Toronto in a few days and asked if I could bring his parts with me to the North Star. Still nothing new there since I do this for the Ubisoft guys & others regularly who have made the North Star a weekly hang out & sanctuary. I usually stop in on Tuesdays after work and Friday nights to watch the wildlife and write, so it was no skin off my ankle.

What was surprising was that trueno92 is occasionally afflicted by gout like I was for so long and we discussed how to treat this painful condition. Andrew is an incredibly pleasant, articulate and knowledgeable guy in his 30’s, so he will have plenty of time to sort this gout thing out I am sure.

Being of a certain age group, I did not know that Andrew was planning to do a podcast for his YouTube channel that evening, but I guess that’s what people do in these days of “I got a camera in my pocket and I don’t know what to do with it.” So after some editing and suggestions I think this is a good piece of information about how the concept of the North Star came about with a few inside tid bits, I think it is worth sharing it here.

Caution: It was a Tuesday night and I was off work the next day, so I too was feeling pretty good. Found myself cussing like a sailor more or less throughout the podcast.

Enjoy.