Midway Haunted House

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Snazzy81
MAACA Super Contributor

Re: Midway Haunted House

Post by Snazzy81 »

Game looks friggin hot! When are you selling :)
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/snazzy81
Vids - Centipede, Mame Cabinet, Megatouch Double Platinum, Sea Wolf, 1256in1 NBA Jam cabinet, Space Invaders, Asteroids Cocktail, GT2K5
Misc - Pachinko, Pashislo, Roberto Foosball, 1939 Bally Variety Sequence Game, Royal Hawaiian Bowler, The Grappler, CC Hockey Champ, CC TV Baseball, Super Hang-On

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by necro_nemesis »

Pins Only wrote: Saaaay, I need all the other parts to finish my Mansion and Tree!! You should send me that Parts game you just stenciled!! :lol:

Dave
Why didn't I think of that? Hanging the rest of the game on that mansion and tree would have been a lot easier than the approach I took. :lol:
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

gmaranda
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by gmaranda »

All I can say is WOW

Tks for sharing

Coitusmysterioso
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Coitusmysterioso »

So Since this thread is so old I'm assuming your bored with this game by now and want to sell correct???? LOL

Kevwolf69
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Kevwolf69 »

necro_nemesis wrote:Other than this being the game I played as a kid there is no way in hell I would put this effort into this thing.

I had to strip the cab. One of the previous owners had more paint than talent. Elected to use some paint that was the perfect combination to turn into a crackled chaulky mess but still maintain a strong adhesion to the lower layers. Basically the worst possible choice of paint a far as restoration goes.

The repair log is ridiculous. Take everything apart i.e. 5 motor gear box assemblies, all score reels, and clean out shit that never should have been put in there. Fix boards including ones with the wrong transistors installed. Clean contacts and adjust relays and remove the odd cable tie holding a relay shut. :roll: Tear down the 8 track, yeah baby 8 track, clean everything and realign the heads. Remake the front kick panel (it was a piece of indoor siding before) and cut the back door panel. Clean and align the gun mech. The game plays actually quite well in the garage in sub zero temperatures. No display gas issues here. You actually have to aim well. I am surprised how accurate the contraption is.

What you see here is the cab with the bad crap stripped. It still needs some filling and further sanding but the crap is gone, and the gun refinished.

The finish is white (slight off white) with red flecks, then two color stencil.

I am stuck right now for a warm spot to shoot paint. If anyone has a place I can use to paint I would appreciate it. Otherwise it pretty much will have to sit until spring now.
I am currently working on my own HH and was wondering if you would share the method you used to realign the 8 track heads. I did the same as you...stripped it and cleaned but I need to adjust for true alignment. I'm guessing you must have extended the loom and did it out of the cab. Any details would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working through the relays trying to actually get the game to register hits. The movement of the carriage and monster motor is slick the rifle pcbs are clean and the pins are polished but no hits yet. I have stripped the score and shot count reels but am still suffering from in game slowing of the control motor after say 40 seconds of game play.

I'll attach a pic of the leather friction discs that I dug out of the reel assemblies.....why would anybody feed oil or grease to leather and think it's going to improve clutch performance?
Attachments
Needs cleaning me thinks!
Needs cleaning me thinks!
Half way through cleaning.
Half way through cleaning.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

I'll see if there's a way I can double check but I don't think originally the slip clutches were leather. I'm almost certain it was another piece of plastic that rode in between. What's important is that you end up with just the right amount of friction so it will turn until the solenoids engage it and then slip without creating too much friction. It's not a lot of friction.

Oh man the 8 track heads. Oooh I wish I could remember but I've already forgotten what I had for dinner last night. Been too long to be of any assistance. The only thing I can offer is there is a way to use a digital player if the whole thing is pooched. I've attached a link to a copy of clean original 8 track files if you have a need for the sound files. You could probably reproduce the tape if someone has an 8 track recorder....lol. It's 2 tracks split into 2 more to give you 4 channels archived as 2 MP3 files. Track 1-2 and track 3-4 which together give you witch, cat, monster, and ambient sound. Funny thing is hits are statements said in manner that it doesn't matter where on the track you start or stop. You could get "you hit me awwww" "awwww you hit me". The tape player just jumps in wherever on the track and plays something long enough to get the gist of what you hit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3u6btuc8gop1 ... s.zip?dl=0

If anyone is interested in hearing them just for the nostalgia they will playback on any MP3 player. ;) Doubt they will be topping the charts anytime soon.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Might be helpful sound alternative?

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/thre ... me.143386/
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/haunted.htm

I was very fortunate to get a new 8-track for my Gangbusters from Mark Clayton @ PinballPal back in 2010.

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

Here you go. Someone that went and got it up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QiRYDW1o10&t=0s

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

The tracks as far as i can tell are just split between left and right channel. I could probably just load them up in an MP3 player and play with the balance to verify this. I assume the channels could be resampled into 2 files as opposed to one.

Edit:

Looks like this guy on Pinside who's from Jacksonville FL. is close to offering a solution which is likely in interface between the game and the audio board with the MP3 files broken out. His email and name are in the thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... eplacement

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

bless you people keeping the old EM arcade machines alive. They get so much less love than the pins.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG

Post by necro_nemesis »

They're not old. I remember playing this when it was new. Shit I'm old... lol.

Kevwolf69
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Kevwolf69 »

OTTOgd wrote:Might be helpful sound alternative?

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/thre ... me.143386/
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/haunted.htm

I was very fortunate to get a new 8-track for my Gangbusters from Mark Clayton @ PinballPal back in 2010.
Cheers for the detailed info. Yes I've seen this kind of digital solution and have in the past played with sounds cards so if I can't the 8 track back to original performance then that will deffo be the way to go. Loving having this machine to tinker with. Can't wait to get it working 100% so I can start the cosmetic make over.

Kevwolf69
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Kevwolf69 »

https://youtu.be/jMJcloZL4ug

Just wanted to share the final result of my Midway Haunted House adventure. The video shows the completed digital audio conversion.

AMX
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by AMX »

Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418, AMI E-80
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

Kevwolf69 wrote:https://youtu.be/jMJcloZL4ug

Just wanted to share the final result of my Midway Haunted House adventure. The video shows the completed digital audio conversion.
Brilliant!
Opens the door to many possibilities for people facing similar problems with older vids and pins

Kevwolf69
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Kevwolf69 »

AMX wrote:...And all the details are here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... sound-card :D ;)
Would never have been able to complete this project without the kind input from AMX. Cheers buddy. The thread details everything you need to know.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Very cool stuff congrats !

Beautiful game...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Did anyone else follow in your footsteps and add that soundcard to their EM?
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Kevwolf69
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Kevwolf69 »

cait001 wrote:Did anyone else follow in your footsteps and add that soundcard to their EM?
Not as yet as far as I am aware. But I'm sure some will be planning to do it. I was just lucky to be completing my refurb when AMX added to the Pinside forum with his solution.