What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by cap »

My right flipper was machine gunning. :rifle Found the diode had broken loose and was barely making contact. :idea Resoldered the diode. Flipper fixed. :thumbup
I know, the problem was trivial, but I love it when pinball makes me feel like a genius for 10 seconds. :bananadance
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Took the time to fix my Alien Poker.

Symptom: would not kick a ball out after starting a game. Flippers working, other solenoids not.

Fix: it was just a solenoid fuse ! :FP: :lol:

Total time: 5 minutes

Total down time before fix: 2 months :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

Fixed a broken slingshot link by replacing it with a zip tie. Holding up so far, 50 plays or so.

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Installed LED's
Attachments
20180302_074958.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Dave W. »

NBA Showtime had vertical collapse last night... straight thin horizontal line across the screen.
Popped by Playdium in the afternoon and picked up a TDA1771 IC, and had a good chat with Rob and Michel. Great lineup of machines in the showroom BTW!

Anyways, back to the repair... this evening I replaced the IC and I'm back in business... until that U5000 decides to fu** up on me again. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Looks good for now
20180308_205001.jpg
Pulled IC
20180308_205849.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Look at what I found in the game room on the 4th floor of the Concorde Hotel in Quebec City.
Two pinball machines set on free play, grooming a new generation of pinball players.
I was told the hotel rents the machines a few times a year when they expect a lot of kids.
This week is spring break. I imagine they might rent again for Christmas or during the carnival.
I was told it is unlikely to be available during summer because they host plenty of conventions.
Kudos to the Concorde for this cool amenity.
IMG_8266.JPG
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Slacker
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Slacker »

What did I do today? same thing I do everyday wake up check Maaca be thankful its here. Then before bed I check again and see this post from Ian seeing he is dealing with shit again and get a bit pissed that he has to deal with this shit daily. Hey Ian I get it you put up with allot of BS and all for no reason. I think because I'm "Not sure" but this could be about an ad from a long time member who has not posted in a long time but when they do almost every time someone pokes the bear for no good reason looking for a reaction. Because people are asshats the reaction is not good. Hence Ian tries to be the good guy and gets shit on. Fuk Guys come on.... all that happen is the poster stops posting making less content, no content no site. Simple For all the Fuktarts keep it up and when you click on Macca.org a splash page that's says "Gone Fishing" or "under constriction" until further notice is all we are going to get and I for one will miss it! Ian hope you had a beer and said Fuk it and went to bed. tomorrow is a new day!
Thanks again for all you do! Da Slacker Out
Playing.... SST, Buccaneer, Bally PB, Data East PB, Stern PB, TFTC, ACDC Pro, Hook, EATPM
Gone. Magnotron, Bally Ticker Tape Bingo, Haunted House, Totem..... My Money and sanity

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

I did the Mod thing on army.ca for quite a few years. We had a team of Mods that had NO problem banning the IPs of fuckwads. Do it here.......
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Sparky wrote:OK. Feel better after watching this. ROTFLMAO...
lol. That was silly, thanks.

hyann
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by hyann »

Petite soirée au North Star avec une amie, on s'est fait du fun et j'ai mangé du cornichon sous des airs de punk rock :) Comment bien décrocher! :)
http://www.pinballowners.com/hyann
Working on: Taxi PF restoration
In french: Blog sur machines, romans et jeux: http://machines-romans-jeux.blogspot.com

MPL 2009-2010 Iron Man and Royal Flush: Best effort awards
MPL 2010-2011 Gary stern trophy !

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Finally pimped my Spiderman with LED's. Picked up 2 EM's this week and working on them.
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

Just finished repairing a hacked/basket-case 1978 Gottlieb Joker Poker for a MAACA member.
Game had a cut harness, numerous corroded/broken Molex pins, burned coils, shorted drive transistor,
cut Germanium diode for switch matrix inside cabinet, three broken drop targets, broken flipper caps, overfused,
relays under playfield had contacts mangled, etc.

Many parts replaced: two coils, sleeves on a few other coils, a drive transistor, two switch matrix diodes,
50 Molex pins, few springs that were missing or incorrect, replacement drop targets, flipper caps, fixed the cut harness,
installed proper fuses, reflowed cold solder joints under the power supply board, battery for memory, few lamp sockets,
performed Ground Mod, etc.

That was fun! Now onto the next machine needing TLC.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

sylvain wrote:Just finished repairing a hacked/basket-case 1978 Gottlieb Joker Poker for a MAACA member.
Awesome. One of the best pins made, imho.

Speaking of poker-themed games, last night I fixed a late '70's/early '80's Radio Shack/Tandy Draw Poker handheld game with a new FA-13 motor ($2.95 @ Sayal).

Royal Flush!
Attachments
20180316_174932.jpg
20180318_131231.jpg

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

Fired up my 1954 William's Spitfire for the first time since it has been torn down, cleaned etc. and put back together. First problem solved: the long spring on the 10,000 and 100,000 units were switched causing the 100,000 unit to not be able to reset. Next step is to install the playfield and see if it will reset.

This machine was absolutely filthy and has been completely disassembed and cleaned. Playfield touched up and clear coated. Cabinet stripped and repainted (that job to be finished when the weather warms up). I don't have the original legs and have failed to find a set of Williams' woodrail legs so I am having a set made!
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Oh my jesus. Just when you think you've seen it all. I have no idea how they get that bad in the first place.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Picked up a very nice looking Volley that had been sitting for quite a while in an auto garage. Two contacts, a seized stepper, and 20 minutes later working like a charm.
Attachments
20180318_193127.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Very nice. Great choice, and very good company for Target Alpha to sit next to her.
I loaned Brewmanager Volley in trade for OXO (which as many may know) is likely the only EM I don't own that I would do such a thing for; and Brewmanager, one of the few whom I would do this with.

Target Alpha is close by @ Bluffsy as a consolation, and yet I am in withdrawl without Volley around, as it is a staple in the herd.
Time to get Volley on legs at Brewmanager's next and pay her a visit to see if she plays more kindly there than @ my shop at Bluffs.

OXO and Golden Arrow are finally both up and on legs at Bluffs at the same time, which as many will know, is deliberate and overdue.
It has been a long while since the days of Pitt street that these 2 pin titles have shared the same space at the same time.

Very few of either title around even though neither is rare.
Congrats on Volley, a fan favourite.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Yes.....the Volley I almost rolled over 4 times in a practice game and the s#it my pants when it came time for the tournament game. :FP:

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:OXO and Golden Arrow are finally both up and on legs at Bluffs at the same time, which as many will know, is deliberate and overdue.
It has been a long while since the days of Pitt street that these 2 pin titles have shared the same space at the same time.

Very few of either title around even though neither is rare.
Indeed, these prized & personal machines were rarely all in the same space and set up and playing except back in October of 2013 at the Pitt street arcade room under my loft space where I spent many nights dreaming & conjuring up what was next in the crazy path I was on.

I have video to prove it, but for now watch for the two OXO's and the one Golden Arrow in the same space in the video clip below. Tough to spot the Bluffs "OXO", only see the edge of it for a second. There is one to the right of Golden Arrow and one to the left.

That very same "Golden Arrow" (in the vid & the pic below) is the one which my MAACA buddies bought for me on my 50th birthday. It is now being operated & enjoyed on Bishop Street in downtown Montreal, so a gift from 5 years ago is now being shared by a bunch of other guys like us whom we have never met.
The Line up at Pistolero
The Line up at Pistolero
Go figure, we are not alone in the games we play and there are many more strangers like us who might become friends through this marble game.

http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Nothing like a rectifier board restoration!
Attachments
1DFB57A9-C208-47B2-84E4-3A8D9D473965.jpeg
2391CAEA-06F3-4277-B9D8-4FFF329C071D.jpeg
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

I've been working the gremlins out of Williams Spitfire for a few weeks -- after everything was torn down, cleaned, touched up, and put back together.

Things I've had to address:
- adjusting the return spring on the 100 stepper unit
- adding extra washers to one pop bumper's rods to stop it from plunging so far that it re-activated the spoon switch
- re-positioning the switch stack on the 500,000 relay since they were not centered causing the relay to not return to the de-energized position
- adding washers under the right flipper shoe so it didn't graze the playfield
- various switch adjustments where new rubbers were holding them closed

That's about it, things went very well considering where I started from and how much cleaning I did to the machine.

What's left?
- new set of legs being made by a carpentry shop in Ottawa
- finalized the graphics for the front of the machine, need to book laser cutting at the library to cut stencils
- finish painting the cabinet and lacquering the remaining wood rails once the weather permits!
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Got my Gottlieb Swing Along finally fixed and working. Now working on my Williams Expo which is giving me some trouble.
But that's the fun part of this Hobby.
Attachments
20180325_084917.jpg
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Picked up a Touch Master 5000 from around the corner (North Bay) the other day. Pretty nifty fun!

Thanks, Robotronshaun!
20180324_205342.jpg
20180325_000735.jpg

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Listed a woodrail on FB market place with intentions of listing on Jiji, and maaca as well.
Before I could I was contacted by someone I didn't know. Said he wanted the pinball machine.
I asked him if he collected, he said ya, 30+ in basement.
Holy Spirit, you must be on maaca I asked, ?
I founded maaca he replied! :FP:
So I got to meet Sparky today. So did both my boxers.
Charles Bronson and Otis Redding really liked him, so did I.
You're welcome back anytime dude. :D
Glad the old Woody's going to a good home.
Attachments
20180306_202234.jpg
20180306_202533.jpg
20180312_162715.jpg
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Priceless
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned