What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by Azatotht »

kids-sparky-keep-calm-funny-sparky-gift-t-shirt-4-red.jpg
kids-sparky-keep-calm-funny-sparky-gift-t-shirt-4-red.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

What did I do today in the hobby? I danced.

Why? Because I have the 4-player version of this pinball machine. 8-)

paidge
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by paidge »

J'ai finalement trouvé une entreprise de zingage électrolytique pas trop loin de chez nous avec des prix raisonnables.

Je vais pouvoir restaurer mes pièces qui on besoin d'un traitement pas mal plus facilement.

Good news.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

I must have played that song 1000 times as a DJ in my former life.
I had forgotten about the video, but it seems appropriate currently. Thank you.

I have done little else in my spare time for the last year other than reflect upon and work on this hobby.
Perhaps that indicates a willingness to write about it once again in the not so distant future.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Azatotht wrote:kids-sparky-keep-calm-funny-sparky-gift-t-shirt-4-red.jpg
Love this Az...

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Fixed upper flipper on Flash Gordon and played for a while.

I don't remember when was the last time I turned a pinball machine on.

Time to find a project ?
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Drove 3 hours to an auction in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. The plan was to score 3 machines at a good price because it wasn't online and I figured the pinball people would be in Cleveland for that weekend show. Methinks that made it worse, Old Chicago 1300, Bally Wizard and Nip It went for 1200 each.....that's US money, plus taxes and 10%. Machines were unshopped and still full of mouse nests and feces. Those of us there that owned machines just stood around staring at each other going 'whaaaaaaaaaaaat?'
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Today i received a beautyfull new repro ramp for the next baby getting in the gameroom..
Attachments
20180913_194444.jpg

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Took a little drive to a members home with two pins in the van for delivery.
Felt like it was time for a pinballing road trip. It was.
He was kind enough to show us ( me and another hillbilly pinnballer) his collection of pins and arcades. Very cool.
Also got to meet a very sweet bulldog. ( We're a boxer family, two rescues ).
Can't wait to see the Sinbad lit up and shining. The Habs light is your own problem,
go Sens! :roll:

Personally can't wait for the show next weekend,
but I don't get out much. :FP:
There are Some really great people on this forum, I think y'all know who you are. The few I've met have been super welcoming and passionate about pins. This hobby in particular means a lot to me. And judging from some of the basements and garage's I've seen it means a lot to some of you to.

I was reminded today why I started bringing pins home, fun, smiles, nostalgia, pure frickin glee.That's it.
I think I did a good deed today. Not a big one, just a good one.
Perhaps the Pinball Karma gods will for once grant me the knock knock of the ever elusive special this evening on joker poker.
Always room for one more.

Stay classy maaca.
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

I repaired a broken column on my LAH DMD. I soldered a wire from the column resistor to the pad on the glass, replacing that trace on the wide ribbon cable.
Now the real test is to see how long it lasts.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

May have overpaid a little but minty fresh "looks factory new" Gottlieb Sure Shot's don't pop up on auction everyday.....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

hyann
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by hyann »

An old client call me, his newly acquired Tee'd off had a flipper problem... I think my last house call was 3 ou 4 years ago, with kids and job, I preferred staying at home than having extra money.

But this guy was nice and I know he can't fix it (the kind that won't open the machine). So I go with a few tools, hoping to remember how to fix a machine :)

I was nearly disappointed to find only a used/burned flipper switch that mechanically stick closed... the ride took me more time :) Just filed it for a quick fix so he can enjoy his machine and guide him to order the parts. Since no soldering needed, he will be able to fix his switch.

Feel good to help people like him !
http://www.pinballowners.com/hyann
Working on: Taxi PF restoration
In french: Blog sur machines, romans et jeux: http://machines-romans-jeux.blogspot.com

MPL 2009-2010 Iron Man and Royal Flush: Best effort awards
MPL 2010-2011 Gary stern trophy !

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Found a spot for my opgs sticker. :o
Attachments
20180924_151355_HDR.jpg
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

Woody
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Woody »

Continuing my work on Super Chexx.
I've transform my shed as a temporary paint shop...
i prepared the base for the new white paint. I've done the sanding, the primer, used 400 grid wet sanding for the primer and finally
putted 2 bases and 3 clear coats.
Attachments
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6102.JPG
IMG_6053.JPG
IMG_6021.JPG
IMG_6020.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Took all of the faded/burnt LEDs out of Tag Team and replaced them with new SMD type 5050 and 2835 lamps. Do NOT buy the single lamp LEDs from Comet's bargain section. I bought hundreds of them over the last couple of years before anyone knew there was a problem and nearly every single one of them is now dead. They've had a warning up on their online store for a few months to not use them on location, but they're still for sale. Even for home use, it's a bad idea. I've been really happy with Comet's other products and service, but the old bulbs that they must have sold hundreds of thousands of... that's the kind of stuff that can ruin a business.

Got started on brightening up Centaur, too. No pics until it's ready.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Lots of fixes today.

7-digit display in Centaur was acting unpredictably so I rebuilt the headers. Fixed some issues but when warm the display was still losing every digit except one. Replaced the two transistors for that digit and bam- back in business. While I had the board out, replaced the 1/4W resistors that always get too hot.

Replaced a corroded header strip on the lamp driver board and reflowed the others. Noticed an SCR with a broken leg so I replaced it.

Finished replacing the lamps with nice LEDs. What a huge difference it makes for playability.

Before:
FE52D6CF-FC24-4ACC-A9A2-ECEFAAABA380.jpeg
After:
A59BFE6F-61AC-49BA-99A5-67315DFC0E2E.jpeg
Destroy Centaur!

Woody
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Woody »

aujourd’hui Pindude est passé à l'arcade.
Nous avons donc pu jaser, prendre une bière et jouer au Super Chexx et Liberty Bell.
Toujours agréable. (surtout quand je gagne :D )

Today Pindude came to the Arcade. We talked, drank a beer and played one game of Super Chexx and Liberty Bell.
Alway's fun (especially when i win :D )
Attachments
IMG_6289.JPG

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Woody wrote:aujourd’hui Pindude est passé à l'arcade.
Nous avons donc pu jaser, prendre une bière et jouer au Super Chexx et Liberty Bell.
Toujours agréable. (surtout quand je gagne :D )

Today Pindude came to the Arcade. We talked, drank a beer and played one game of Super Chexx and Liberty Bell.
Alway's fun (especially when i win :D )
Cool !

Mon ancien voisinage, hey woody. ;)
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

I'm sitting in an alleyway in Toronto that could be used to shoot a horror movie.
Picking up a Buccaneer but the owner is stuck in traffic.....like I'll now be on the way home.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Guard wrote:I'm sitting in an alleyway in Toronto that could be used to shoot a horror movie.
Picking up a Buccaneer but the owner is stuck in traffic.....like I'll now be on the way home.
You'll be stuck in traffic with a new game in the back; don't sweat it!

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

And you were correct. But myself and Buccaneer are home safe and sound.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Picked up my Hit The Deck fr9m the shipping terminal.....it warms the heart when the pin is in even better shape then described.
Now to figure out what the heck was done to it to make some kind of alarm system. At least thats what I think it was supposed to be.
A two pronged Jones plug (don't know what it hooked into) that has a spot that had a 6 volt battery attached to it, then runs up to a school bell that appears to also be wired to a chime, and finally to two switches on the coin door. All with speaker wire...
Attachments
20181102_192042.jpg
20181102_192109.jpg
20181102_185241.jpg

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

That's amazing! Hook it up and post a video!

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Picked up a Gottlieb Bad Girls on the weekend. Had to fix a pop bumper and the vari-target and replaced some bulbs. Striped the playfield for a deep clean.
Game looks great and plays fast. It's a copy of Bally's Eight Ball Deluxe.
Attachments
DSC_3886.JPG
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Sparky wrote:No power at coils but I had some at the A/C relay. Ended up being something as stupid as the relay board not liking it when it is clipped in. Board gets slightly twisted and relay doesn't work.
- I moved the relay board a bit and coils now ok.
Can you explain this part? Is that an intermittent connection?
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings