How Would You Go About a Trade in the US?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Hammerhead
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 29 times

How Would You Go About a Trade in the US?

Post by Hammerhead »

Has anyone here ever traded a game for one in the US.

As the initiator of the trade, you would be the one expected to cross the border with game 'A' and come back with game 'B'. How would that work with customs?
I am François du Grimm, and I will get medieval on your derriere!

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Re: How Would You Go About a Trade in the US?

Post by cap »

Hammerhead wrote:Has anyone here ever traded a game for one in the US.
As the initiator of the trade, you would be the one expected to cross the border with game 'A' and come back with game 'B'. How would that work with customs?
I definitely don't see the US citizen crossing the border first to pay the duty on a game that was not paid yet.
I heard you can reimport a US made machine to the US duty free, but I did not research this and therefore cannot confirm if it's true.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

bigpumba
MAACA New Contributor

Post by bigpumba »

cap wrote:
[bla, bla, bla].... but I did not research this and therefore cannot confirm if it's true.

:postsinutiles

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

I still think that's useful information because he can hope not to pay any duty legally if he does the research unlike both of us.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

There, looks like the tariff is free under the heading 9504.30.00.20
https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=pinball
Rate 2 which is 35% only applies to Cuba and North Korea.

PinWiz69
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by PinWiz69 »

I've done a trade in the US before. Stop on the Canadian side before crossing into the US, tell them you're bringing a machine down for an event. They will give you a green card with the game name and serial number. This gives you hassle free entrance into the US because in their eyes you're bringing it back.

Go do your trade, and throw the green card Canada customs gave you away. Now upon returning to Canada, it depends on the officer you get. The one I got pretty much asked me what the value was of the game I was bringing back, and charged me the tax on that amount. He didn't care that I had traded, and no money exchanged hands. Basically he said, I sold my machine for X amount of dollars, and then I bought the returning one for X amount of dollars.

Hope this helps, and good luck! It's not that difficult.

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Dave W. »

Talk to Chris (PizzaDude). He tried to bring a machine across for trade and made the mistake of saying he was trading a game, and the US border agent wouldn't let him bring the game into the US.
I'm only giving you the Coles Notes version of the story... he can tell you more.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Dave W. wrote:Talk to Chris (PizzaDude). He tried to bring a machine across for trade and made the mistake of saying he was trading a game, and the US border agent wouldn't let him bring the game into the US.
I'm only giving you the Coles Notes version of the story... he can tell you more.
It would be interesting to have the full version of the story. What was the US border agent reasoning if importing a pinball is duty free anyway?

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

PinWiz69 wrote:I've done a trade in the US before. Stop on the Canadian side before crossing into the US, tell them you're bringing a machine down for an event. They will give you a green card with the game name and serial number. This gives you hassle free entrance into the US because in their eyes you're bringing it back.
What I like about this is it gives you the option to bring back your machine for free if the trade fails for any reason once in the US.

PizzaDude
MAACA New Contributor

Post by PizzaDude »

I was going to do a trade for a NIB pin.. When I got to the border crossing, I told them what I would be doing and I was asked to park and go inside.. I was told that I needed brokerage as well as a license to transport into the US.. Neither of which did I have.. I was told that even though It was a TRADE it was considered a financial transaction. Thus my pin was denied entry into the US.. I withdrew my application to enter the US and turned around and went home..

The person I was trading with was to far away from the border to come and meet me.. There were a couple of other ways I could have approached it but figured that being honest at the border was the way to go.. I guess the joke was on me for not doing enough research before I left :(