What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by uberhare »

Today I was told 10 is too many.....Grrrr
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

uberhare wrote:Today I was told 10 is too many.....Grrrr
Lucky you, for me I'm told 5 is too many. :(
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Marital bliss may be more important than the quantity of pinballs you need to harbour.

But what the hell do I know ? :lol:

I have basically given up on trying to make compromises with others, I already have my hands full just dealing with myself.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Sparky wrote:
cait001 wrote:
Sparky wrote:No power at coils but I had some at the A/C relay. Ended up being something as stupid as the relay board not liking it when it is clipped in. Board gets slightly twisted and relay doesn't work.
- I moved the relay board a bit and coils now ok.
Can you explain this part? Is that an intermittent connection?
The relay is mounted on a small board, 2"x2", and it is secured Under the playfield on plastic legs that you push the board on and it clips in place. exactly like on older Bally SS games. Well, when you push the board in place, since the pins are not perfectly placed and the wires to the board are soldered on (no connector), the board flexes. As it does, the small parts within the relay seem to bind. The relay no longer sends the 30V to either side A or side C. It's like the leg on the relay jams between the 2 contacts and doen't send current anywhere.

I could hear the relay try to click but it was faint. When I removed it from it's clips, I could then hear it clearly click and everything worked.
would that not point to a weak solder point or poor connection, therefore higher resistance? I don't know tolerances, but I imagine a circuit board should be able to tolerate a minor amount of stress without breaking traces.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

I hold her I'd sell 1 to "start". We'll see how long that keeps her happy :) I'm told I have to put furniture back in the living room...lol
R.A.B. wrote:
Marital bliss may be more important than the quantity of pinballs you need to harbour.

But what the hell do I know ? :lol:

I have basically given up on trying to make compromises with others, I already have my hands full just dealing with myself.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower

shock_me
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shock_me »

I wasn't getting the 7th flash on my Fireball Classic. Did some reading and tried a few things. I replaced R113 on the MPU today, and yay, success! I haven't been playing my old Ballys lately, and it seems the longer they sit, the more they break down lol!

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by monkeybug »

I spent a few hours trying to figure out why Smaug was not rotating.

After tracing everything it seemed to be a loose connector between the PC and the rest of the wiring.

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Picked up a Project Gottlieb Genesis. Lots of stuff to do on it but that's the cool part of the hobby.
Attachments
DSC_4056.JPG
DSC_4055.JPG
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Love my Genesis. ...

Took inserts out of a game for the first time to level them. Tedious, but worth it. ....Buccaneer PF was nice and smooth even before I waxed it.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

uberhare wrote:Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.
Dude,

In my opinion, 9 is as good a number as any. Mix it up and you'll be fine.

Rob

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

R.A.B. wrote:
uberhare wrote:Today I sold another one & officially setup my last folded/stored/taken apart machine! I'm sadly down to 9.
Dude,

In my opinion, 9 is as good a number as any. Mix it up and you'll be fine.

Rob
9 is a good number, but 10 was better :)

I can't complain too much, she let's me have an airplane.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

uberhare wrote:9 is a good number, but 10 was better :)

Sure but have you ever considered... eleve-- WAIT WHAT an airplane???
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

cait001 wrote:

I wonder if you can hide a pinball in that plane. :thinking
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

cap wrote:
cait001 wrote:

I wonder if you can hide a pinball in that plane. :thinking
Not even close! I wish I could afford one that big :) I actually sold most of my machines a few years ago to buy it.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

"Gotta call Rob" -- the official slogan of starting a new pin project

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Some new stuff on the way... Sorry to say my signature is about to get even more bloated. Yikes

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

working on a new project... :D
Attachments
20181128_201358 b.jpg

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Oh boy LOL
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Sparky wrote:Rock on, bitches.
Cool. Make it a Rock Encore!

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

A little board work tonight. Damn, do I ever love this new desoldering/soldering station. It's making quick work out of what used to be a real pain in the butt.

Bally -35 MPU board had some crispy old single-wipe IC sockets causing intermittent crashes. Replaced them with proper tooled ones and resocketed the chips. Rock solid now.

Solenoid board got replacement capacitors while I was in there; the originals were still working but it was only a matter of time before I would have had to replace them anyway.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Every day...
Remarkable things...

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

I think I am retired.
And; also fully immersed.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:Every day...
Remarkable things...
Yes, everyday I see how beautiful and complex life and others are - respectively, or not.

Yesterday for example, I tripped around with my friend James and fixed stuff and laughed and told stories about people we knew or know while driving to the next job or destination. Everything that came to mind was chosen/spoken, from cooking lentils to fixing pinball machines to talking about growing up on the south shore of Montréal, everything carries meaning when you let it, but that necessitates slowing down Scotty. I know I hate the thought, but this is what we have come up against, slowing it down in order to live it. I don't want to either, but it beckons.

At night I head to the North Star to fix a few things, and met some more friends and talked about everything from dreams to new apps that are in the works, the future looks wild and my dreams keep being filled with ideas I have not yet written down yet.

So much to do and say. Our lives are like individual piles of earth in our hands, it slips through your fingers as you look for a place to put it down.

Rob

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Had bought some yellow LEDs for the inserts of my Mars God of War , more orange than yellow. Tried them in Devil's Dare , i like
Attachments
20181208_183928.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter