Bally Playboy rebirth log (Atown 2019 pick)

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 39 times

Bally Playboy rebirth log (Atown 2019 pick)

Post by Toeckeder »

Thanks to Tinyrodent for the inspiration (F2K shop log), I will also post my efforts behind the rebirth of my 2019 Allentown pick : Bally Playboy.
(it is pinball forum right?)

Little story first: I know many where frustrated with the lineup to enter the show this year, but I must have been in the first 20-30 individuals to enter thanks to Darkdog and Cybercid.

Of course, first destination is the flea market. The games where still unloading...
Within 20-30 minutes, my deal was done. Not that she was cheap, just felt it was a snooze and loose situation.

Pictures from the flea market:
Game is complete = checked
Backglass is nice = checked (it is just perfect 10/10)
Playfield is OK = checked
Cab is solid = checked
Attachments
20190503_122035[1].jpg
20190503_121957[1].jpg
Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, BALLY PLAYBOY, RUSH LE, RIVERBOAT GAMBLER
WTB: NO Vacancy
Vid: MAME #1, TEMPEST, NUCLEUS CANNON, MAME #2, NAMCO Reunion Class of '81
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY, F-14 TOMCAT, BLACKOUT, ALGAR, FIREPOWER II, ABRACADABRA, EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: Bally Playboy rebirth log (Atown 2019 pick)

Post by cait001 »

I love that Operation Wolf themed crane machine :)
Looking forward to the thread
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

tinyrodent
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by tinyrodent »

:thumbup :-D
Playing: Stern Stars, Stranger Things
http://www.pinballowners.com/tinyrodent

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

It is not the first pin I am buying from this seller, games are clearly sold "AS IS".

One of the first thing I noticed inside the backbox.
P/S connector J3 wihtout housing, wires directly soldered to header.
20190506_185451.jpg
FIX
P/S J3: new header, connector housing and re-pinned everything
I managed to be able to change J3 header without removing the board from the backbox, thanks to my de-soldering gun (good for beefy headers).
20190506_201033.jpg
20190506_202308.jpg
20190506_202708.jpg
20190506_185441.jpg
Last edited by Toeckeder on Tue May 28, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pins: HIGH SPEED, GUNS N ROSES, FIREPOWER, SORCERER, LASER WAR, FATHOM, NOW, BLACKOUT, ALIEN POKER, LASER BALL, TOMMY, FIREPOWER II, BALLY PLAYBOY, RUSH LE, RIVERBOAT GAMBLER
Gone: Punch-Out!!, TARGET ALPHA, STARGATE, SPIRIT OF 76, ROLLERGAMES, TAXI, TOMMY, EARTHSHAKER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, TWILIGHT ZONE, TX SECTOR, CENTAUR, AC/DC PRO, ROLLERGAMES, WHIRLWIND, TIME MACHINE, GALAGA, GRAND LIZARD, TORPEDO ALLEY, F-14 TOMCAT, BLACKOUT, ALGAR, FIREPOWER II, ABRACADABRA, EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

Remember the game was bought AS IS.
Recipe for disaster = connect everything and fire the thing while praying everything should work.

Be meticulous!!

Next step:
Check all voltages on the 5 P/S test points (backbox and playfield disconnected form it, keep only cabinet wiring J2 to turn on/off)
Everything was good there.

Next: getting the regulated 5VDC on the solenoid board
After connecting backbox voltage to P/S and solenoid driver board J3, my reading on TP1 (5VDC +/-.25) was a big "0", nothing, niet, nada.
Decided not to loose time and proceed with the basics (that I would have done anyways even with good TP1 reading ): replaced all capacitors (the big one is often the culprit), done the recommended mods.
20190512_110522.jpg
I was still getting nothing at TP1...

I was really suspecting the voltage regulator at this point, until I realized TP5 was getting weird values. TP5 should read the same as the P/S which is the source voltage before filtering.
And yes, famous connectors! I repined J3 pins 10-11-12, also replaced the header and voilà:
20190512_110943.jpg

Next: High voltage 190VDC for the displays
All good!

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Pas de place pour la Paragon? :cry: :cry:
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

HPR Pinball wrote:Pas de place pour la Paragon? :cry: :cry:
Pas d'intérêt! Faut choisir ces thèmes 8-)

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

After all voltages were good, next was to work on the MPU.
Original battery was cut off, there was no real acid damage anywhere except for the very bottom of the PCB which was scrapped off, neutralized and re-thinned.
I took no chance: replaced all headers because they looked like sh&*"

For testing, I'd rather do this on the bench. Old PC power supply with on/off switch is ideal for that (5 and 12 VDC).
I was pleased to get 6 flashes on the 1st try (7th flash requires additional power source, to be tested installed in the game).
20190512_121917.jpg
20190512_121911.jpg

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Tres interessant... Merci pour le sujet
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrDude »

Toeckeder wrote:After all voltages were good, next was to work on the MPU.
Original battery was cut off, there was no real acid damage anywhere except for the very bottom of the PCB which was scrapped off, neutralized and re-thinned.

For testing, I'd rather do this on the bench. Old PC power supply with on/off switch is ideal for that (5 and 12 VDC).
I was pleased to get 6 flashes on the 1st try (7th flash requires additional power source, to be tested installed in the game).
20190512_121917.jpg
20190512_121911.jpg
From PinWiki:
For bench testing, it is possible to "trick" The MPU into completing the 7th flash without applying the solenoid voltage by temporarily jumpering the top of R17 and the top of R23.
I use this technique all the time, and it allows you to find out if the board remains up after 7th flash, or crashes immediately.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

DrDude wrote:
Toeckeder wrote:After all voltages were good, next was to work on the MPU.

20190512_121917.jpg
20190512_121911.jpg
From PinWiki:
For bench testing, it is possible to "trick" The MPU into completing the 7th flash without applying the solenoid voltage by temporarily jumpering the top of R17 and the top of R23.
I use this technique all the time, and it allows you to find out if the board remains up after 7th flash, or crashes immediately.

Cool! I will try next time.
You can also provide 21.5-25VDC to TP3, I was trying to do that with my adjustable power supply set between 21.5-25VDC (the one under the PC power supply, white aligator clip). Wasn't working for some reason...(wiki: requires the DC voltage "ripple" to work!)

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

So all boards back in the game, it was now time to progressively connect everything.
Everything went fairly well, observations:

The good:
MPU: 7 flashes, boots perfectly
GI is working (few bulbs to replace, probably few sockets to fix)
Controlled lamps all working
All switches tested good after adjustment

The bad:
Sound problem, could barely hear sound at max volume
Most Displays flickering, missing digits on the Credit/Ball in play

The WTF?:
Very weird coils activation behavior
Weird gameplay behavior (game always boots with maximum credits fully loaded, knocker + credit when reaching 4000 and 5000 pts respectively)

DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrDude »

Toeckeder wrote:So all boards back in the game, it was now time to progressively connect everything.
Everything went fairly well, observations:

The good:
MPU: 7 flashes, boots perfectly
GI is working (few bulbs to replace, probably few sockets to fix)
Controlled lamps all working
All switches tested good after adjustment

The bad:
Sound problem, could barely hear sound at max volume
Most Displays flickering, missing digits on the Credit/Ball in play

The WTF?:
Very weird coils activation behavior
Weird gameplay behavior (game always boots with maximum credits fully loaded, knocker + credit when reaching 4000 and 5000 pts respectively)
The sound-board likely needs to be re-capped, but you should also re-flow the connectors. Your displays likely have bad connectors as well, especially the high-voltage pins and the grounds. Try swapping the Credit-display with one of the player-displays to determine if the missing digits is the display (then it is pins or resistors) or the connector.

As to the "WTF?", I would suspect a bad 5101 on the MPU board (or bad socket on the 5101).
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

Fixing the sound.

1st action was to replace all capacitors on the sound board.
Back in the game, volume was back to normal...but.... something was wrong.
Tones where just not sounding the way it should, was very noticeable with the credit sound:
I had to good idea to record it!

After googling, I have found similar issues from other pinheads and most of them fixed the issue by replacing U2, a 4042.
One case here actually: viewtopic.php?t=16067
So I did this. I also reflown connector, cracked solders everywhere and wiggling the connector was making scary sounds...
20190528_195758.jpg
Then voilà, fixed!!
Last edited by Toeckeder on Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

Fixing WTF case #1.

I have post it before, here it is again anyway.
Fix was to re-pin both J4 connectors on the MPU and driver board. (all .100`headers replaced on every boards)

For some reason, this also fixed the flickering display issue completely... go figure. Digits where still missing though.

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

Fixing WTF case#2.

At one point while troubleshooting WTF case#1, I really though I might not have the good roms.
So MPU back on the bench, I jumped it for 2716 eproms and burnt a fresh eprom set. Was still acting the same (still getting WTF#1 and #2 :brickwall )
As previously mentioned I figured WTF#1 by wiggling connectors.

I finally fixed WTF#2 by replacing the 5101 and adding a 1fd memory capacitor which I didn't do yet. Not sure if the 5101 was faulty...
Attachments
20190530_072935.jpg

Toeckeder
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Toeckeder »

Fixing the display with missing digits.

I did the swap test and could isolate the problem, the display itself was missing 3 digits.
Usual fix for that is to replace resistors R1, R3, R5, R7, R9, R11 some tested definitely bad so I replaced them all with 1/2 Watt 100Kohm.
20190528_195854.jpg
Back in the game, something went wrong... High voltage fuse(F1 on the driver board) blew instantly :?
I double checked my work (though I had created a bridge or something) but everything was good.

So I replaced the fuse and tried again, no fuse blowing this time but display was only showing a single very bright digit.

Back on the bench, i found Q7 (a 2N5401) bad with the DMM set to diode mode. Luckily I had some on hand.

Replaced Q7, all good now!

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Big Daddy vend des pti kits complet pour le high voltage et le 5 volts.
Ensuite la game devient solide comme un tank :-)
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Gritboy
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Gritboy »

Tres interessant ! :D
pinball: last action hero ,bally eight ball
jukebox: seeburg std2 vogue, NSM firebird II
Gone: cue ball wizard
Wtb: TFTC, RFM, maverick, judge dredd, munster,
Eight ball deluxe

mad
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 13 times

Post by mad »

le projet avance bien JF,une bally ss bien réparé et ajusté, tu peut jouer longtemps avec sans avoir de troubles. ;)