1964 Rialto German machine - Repair Log & interesting issues resolved

Restoration/upgrades/fixes/fabrication of pins and vids
sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

1964 Rialto German machine - Repair Log & interesting issues resolved

Post by sylvain »

I have been working sporadically on a MAACA member's 1964 Rialto gambling/payout machine, during my very limited spare time in the last few weeks.
Rialto is an EM machine working on 220VAC. Precision design from Germany. It has a' score-motor' type with cams and switches, relays, steppers/cams, and a payout tube.

In addition to disconnected power wires (fixed & cleaned-up), incorrectly adjusted switches (fixed) and an internally 'welded' contact in the coin microswitch
(mostly fixed/one part bypassed), I could not understand why the 220V payout solenoid under the payout tube would not activate with the two series-switches
for it were closed. The payout solenoid coil is good.

With the machine unplugged from the 110V-220V doubler transformer, I used my DMM on continuity and traced the wires.
The open circuit was at the payout relay switch, even with the switch closed and flexstoned.
DSCF0057.JPG
After dismantling the switch, here's the reason - one blade was broken within the stack and no longer making contact to its lug!
That was an interesting curve ball - issue was not visible until dismantling the switch. Or Ohm'ing it with contact closed (was open circuit).
DSCF0058.JPG
Good, one more thing fixed - a few issues left.

Regards,
-Sylvain.
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

cdnpinballer
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Re: 1964 Rialto German machine - interesting issue resolved

Post by cdnpinballer »

Nice fix Sylvain.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: 1964 Rialto German machine - interesting issue resolved

Post by cait001 »

Thanks, I don't think I've ever seen a busted switch inside a stack before.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: 1964 Rialto German machine - Repair Log & interesting issue resolved

Post by sylvain »

Following suggestion of the machine's owner, Here's is a quick repair log update/progress on this machine.
There is not much information about this particular machine on the web, so let's document some info here!

I assume the story started from here - locating, purchasing and getting the project machine shipped to Ottawa:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... hl=pinslot

Here's a picture of the actual machine, a 1964 Wulff 'Rialto' made in Germany:
DSCF0056.JPG
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

The machine works with original 10 Pf coins- luckily it is about the same size and weight as our CDN nickels, so the simple coin acceptor works with our own local currency.

After inserting a coin, the 'score motor' starts and a ball is served at the bottom. It can be manually launched if acting quickly, or it will be auto-launched.
Three balls are served for a game. The goal is to complete a column of the same number, 1, 2, 3 or 4 for a win, as shown on the front glass of the machine.
With a win, coins are payed-out from an internal payout tube.

There is a post and a similar machine schematics available here, luckily:
http://pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2193

And there is a good YouTube video of a very similar machine - a 1959 'Bingolett' - that has no auto-launch like on the 'Rialto':

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Given these machine require 220VAC 50Hz as supply, I ordered a 115-230V transformer for it while studying the German schematics.

While a tad more than 220V volt, 230V is still safe to operate the machine at that voltage, at least for a short time.
With our North American AC supply at 60Hz, this also makes the 'score motor' turn a bit faster than originally designed.
Typically this causes no real issue except making the machine a bit faster - like for a lot of the European pinball machines
designed for 50Hz and imported/operated here.

These transformers are available from Amazon & Ebay, for various capacities. I estimated a 300W unit would be sufficient:
DSCF0062.JPG

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

First, I had to identify the disconnected wires at the supply connector, and make it a lot more safe, and cleaner.
Thankfully, the schematics on the web for a similar machine was useful - it is marked-up with wire colors.

Primary supply is 220V, which operates the internal power transformer, score motor, payout solenoid and ball kicker coils.
The internal transformer's secondary provides 30V to the selenium rectifier, which supply power to the 1,2,3,4 steppers and a few other relays, and 12V for bulbs.
The previous owner might have given-up, trying to use 115VAC supply... Which is not enough to make the score motor turn.

I also confirmed that the original red selenium rectifier next to the transformer was still good and safe, so decided to keep it original, plus safer with addition of fuses on the supply line.

Given selenium rectifiers typically have an internal resistance higher than our modern bridge rectifiers, and given that the machine would be operated at a slightly higher supply voltage than original 220V, I felt this was yet another good reason to keep the original selenium rectifier in-place.

Initial wiring with disconnect wires:
DSCF0054.JPG
After identification of wires, replacement of AC power cord, addition of fuses, and clean-up:
DSCF0056.JPG
The bulbs are nothing like our usual bulbs here - they look like miniature fuses, a bit like some classic hi-fi receivers used to light-up their dials.
In fact, there is still an original bulb included in the machine, in its 'goodie bag' stapled at the bottom left inside rear corner!
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

After performing the above initial work and checks, I found that I had to lightly lube the score motor and the 1,2,3,4 steppers to make them work properly.

On first power-up, the score motor ran continuously and shot the ball three times and automatically started a new game, every time, time after time.
No payout even if columns were made.

Turns-out that a few switches on the score motor cams (and also on the 1 to 4 steppers) were incorrectly gapped and loose - so fixed that.
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Next issue is that dropping a coin would not start the score motor turning anymore, now that the switches gap had been fixed.
I then realized that the coin microswitch was defective - the internal contact stayed at its resting position, even when mechanically operated.

I tried searching for a suitable replacement microswitch in my spare parts boxes, and on-line incl. eBay, to no avail.

...So, decided to remove the microswitch from the machine and drill the rivets to open its cover.
The issue was that the contact was 'welded' in place and would not move.

I was able to get it freed-up, then used a flexstone, and just a tad of De-Oxit to make the microswitch work,
at least in the coin detected position. Then used small screws and nuts to close the original cover.

The rest position contact is only used for an in-series switch with the payout relay contact,
so I bypassed that position with a soldered wire for now, given that contact was and still is not great (e.g. pitted):
DSCF0058.JPG
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Next issue - No payout - From a quick visual, it was easy to find-out that the payout relay had been broken in the past,
e.g. it no longer had its bakelite part on its actuator, to actuate the contact:
DSCF0055.JPG
Again, finding a suitable or original replacement relay would be difficult, and I wanted to keep the machine as close to original as possible.
So, using an old radio antenna connector piece, I 'manufactured' a new part from it to fit the relay armature so that it could operate its contact:
DSCF0061.JPG
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Still no payout - turns-out that switch on the payout relay was also opened/broken, *into its contact stack*, as described on the 1st post:
DSCF0058.JPG
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

With the above payout relay switch fixed, now there is payout!
And machine stops after its cycle.

But - lights stayed on - they should turn OFF after a game.
Issue was a bent score motor switch actuator on cam#1 - someone had mangled it in the past,
making the score motor stop too soon, because of the wrong angle of the switch actuator on that cam.

Next 'issue': why is the ball auto-launched every time, instead of waiting for the player to launch it?
I could not find the answer by re-checking contact gaps and the schematics - all pointed to this being normal.
But this did not agree with the youtube video of the 1959 Bingolett...

This older eBay listing somewhat confirmed the observed behavior on the Rialto:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rialto-1964-Wul ... 7675.l2557

"Der Rialto spielt auch selbst (automatischer Abschuß), wenn man nicht schnell genug am Abzug die Kugel losschießt, also einfach nur Geld einwerfen reicht schon!"
Translation from Google:
"The Rialto also plays itself (automatic kill), if you do not shoot fast enough at the trigger the ball, so just throw in money is enough!"

I now feel more confident that the current behavior is normal - plus the machine plays a bit faster, being operated at 60Hz instead of original 50Hz...
So you have to be quick if you want to launch the ball manually instead of the machine!
Last edited by sylvain on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Rear view of the machine, cover opened, showing the score motor on top, the 1-4 steppers, the coin/payout tube, and the serve ball, auto-launch and payout solenoids:
DSCF0061.JPG
DSCF0060.JPG
DSCF0059.JPG

Anyhow, that's it for now. Hope this info might become useful to someone else in the future!

Regards,
-Sylvain.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: 1964 Rialto German machine - Repair Log & interesting issues resolved

Post by cait001 »

This is amazing, thanks so much for writing this all here!
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Very neat.
Thanks for posting, Sylvain.
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Sylvain = MAD SKILLZ!!!!!!

Nicely done!
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by sylvain »

Thanks everyone!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

If anyone else ever wants to take on oddball projects, flip me a message ;)

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

sylvain wrote:I now feel more confident that the current behavior is normal - plus the machine plays a bit faster, being operated at 60Hz instead of original 50Hz...
So you have to be quick if you want to launch the ball manually instead of the machine!
Is there any easy bypass disable the auto launch? Obviously just disconnecting the solenoid, but besides that?
If it was disabled it would play the same as bingolette. Maybe one day I'll put in a toggle switch.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Thanks so much, Sylvain!
Rialto is home and playing great, and ready for OPGS! Be sure to come to OPGS to okay this absolute rarity
Attachments
20190818_211523.jpg

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Wow. Amazing repair thread. Inspirational.

Sylvain is awesome.

I'm bringing a handful of nickels to OPGS!

... but I hope to bring home two handfuls. ;) 8-) :D

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

OTTOgd wrote:Wow. Amazing repair thread. Inspirational.

Sylvain is awesome.

I'm bringing a handful of nickels to OPGS!

... but I hope to bring home two handfuls. ;) 8-) :D
My Select-Em will also graciously take all of your nickels. :D

Bingolettman
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Bingolettman »

I think its time I added to this thread, even though its quite old now. I'm very grateful to Sylvain for highlighting the payout solenoid damage that meant the contacts could not close. I had EXACTLY the same issue. Snapped off pull-down! If I hadn't read this, I doubt I would have even spotted it.

Now, I'm NOT an expert on these (total novice) but I'm restoring a somewhat incomplete Bingolett here in the UK which I'll need to make a new glass for, but I've come on a long way AND put up a series of videos that I'm sure will add more information for anyone tackling a Bingolett, Rialto or Tivoli. The other main part missing is the payout slide to the front coin door but I'm fairly sure I can fabricate one. Anyway, heres my four videos to date! I do have a slow, rambling style so if you're expecting a fast pace, you'll be disappointed. Most seem to like them though.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sCPjW9vGlk
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxvMJX3sRoA
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10RQZoqwlSw
4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUX3-os7ss0

Like I said, I'm no expert but getting there. If anyone has a 'to scale' scan of the front glass of a Rialto or Bingolett, it would help me no end as I'm fine in Photoshop as well as Illustrator and I need one to create a new one. I accept that due to the mirror finish, they don't scan well. For me its purely about positioning - particularly the dots that mask the pins. I just need to place everything accurately. I do have that rare HP scanner that pinball guys love for scanning playfields but I know of no one near me with a Bingolett that I can scan myself. Bit frustrating. Anyway, I hope the above helps someone. Bear in mind there will be more than four videos in the next month or so, meaning you'd need to scour my channel for further episodes.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Bingolettman wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:29 pm I think its time I added to this thread, even though its quite old now. I'm very grateful to Sylvain for highlighting the payout solenoid damage that meant the contacts could not close. I had EXACTLY the same issue. Snapped off pull-down! If I hadn't read this, I doubt I would have even spotted it.

Now, I'm NOT an expert on these (total novice) but I'm restoring a somewhat incomplete Bingolett here in the UK which I'll need to make a new glass for, but I've come on a long way AND put up a series of videos that I'm sure will add more information for anyone tackling a Bingolett, Rialto or Tivoli. The other main part missing is the payout slide to the front coin door but I'm fairly sure I can fabricate one. Anyway, heres my four videos to date! I do have a slow, rambling style so if you're expecting a fast pace, you'll be disappointed. Most seem to like them though.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sCPjW9vGlk
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxvMJX3sRoA
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10RQZoqwlSw
4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUX3-os7ss0

Like I said, I'm no expert but getting there. If anyone has a 'to scale' scan of the front glass of a Rialto or Bingolett, it would help me no end as I'm fine in Photoshop as well as Illustrator and I need one to create a new one. I accept that due to the mirror finish, they don't scan well. For me its purely about positioning - particularly the dots that mask the pins. I just need to place everything accurately. I do have that rare HP scanner that pinball guys love for scanning playfields but I know of no one near me with a Bingolett that I can scan myself. Bit frustrating. Anyway, I hope the above helps someone. Bear in mind there will be more than four videos in the next month or so, meaning you'd need to scour my channel for further episodes.
in case you missed it, here is a more recent post on Rialto https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2023 ... wulff.html

Bingolettman
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Bingolettman »

Yes, read that a few times. Fixed similar issues on mine so clearly common faults. Just can't get the cam motor to run long enough (unless I hold microswitch down) and apart from first ball, I can't get it to drop 2nd & 3rd, but I'm sure thats because whatever moves the cam on, isn't working. No doubt a contact. Just not found it yet. I'll continue battling with it. Also looks like I'll have to 3D print a tube to payout tray as mine is missing entirely. Does anyone have a scale scan of Rialto or Bingolett front glass?