THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by R.A.B. »

What a day yesterday. Just amazing, and loaded with fun, hard work and accomplishments. That is the way I like my days to unfold if I can help it at all.

On the road from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM and loving it. Since I feel like rambling tonight as I get ready for the big week ahead filled with "planning and doing" in order to get to the Geester's firepitt & refuge next Saturday night after the first day of the OPGS 2019, please indulge me if you will because all I can do now for lack of refuge is recount yesterday in hopes of an equally great upcoming Saturday. Run on sentence, I must be tired.

Started by picking up Joanna at her place in St.Henri (my best apprentice these days) and talking about the details of our individual work weeks all the way up to the coffee shop near the North Star where the bubbly and smart lady who seems to run the joint greets us with a big & loud - "Bon matin a vous deux !!" continued by , "Deux mi-noir avec une shot d'espresso pour la madame ?" Indeed.

Then to North Star for 8:55 am where our latest apprentice Lucien is waiting. The regular Saturday morning line up checks are the best training ground for the army we are looking to build and train to deal with the ways and the workings of pinball guts and what is the best way I know to work on these things. Lucien also has a full time job as an event set up tech, but has a passion for pinballs that goes beyond just playing. So he is the latest to have to listen to me babble and be subjected to my specific way to keep machines looking and working as flawlessly as possible at North Star under intense commercial use. (Well, also to the best of our prayers, can't hurt.) New Sterns as well as old EMs can fail equally under commercial use, and it can happen at any time. These older, and newer machines are like timebombs, and I am sort of metaphorically sitting on more than a dozen of these things at the North Star.

We had two problems noted in the staff log book that morning, apart from the usual maintenance we do every weekend as a rule.

1) Harlem Globetrotter right flipper coil stopper broke one of its machine screws/bolts and the stopper fell into the cashbox after the other one eventually loosened. Coil was hanging down and the 5 amp fuse on the rectifier board blew from people still flipping on a busy friday night. The ball finally landed in the top eject pocket after the fuse blew and stayed there, no more 43 volts available for the coils. The machine was put out of service late on friday night.

I put Joanna in charge of that problem while she walked Lucien through the disassembly of the flipper and the mounting plate in order to remove the broken bolt from underneath.

2) Dracula developed a switch matrix hassle the night before. I was likely to fix it that morning before the launch party at noon for the new Stern Jurrasic Park. There were lots of opto errors showing up in the test report and no there were no flippers to boot. Observed a part of the switch matrix was working, but not the whole bunch of them, flipper button optos were not working, but you could still go through a whole 3 ball game. But without flippers and lots of features missing like the castle lock, needless to say that it wasn't much fun. Turned out that the fuse holder for the secondary 12v supply to the opto board under the playfield was not conducting. (F116 if I remember.) The 12v pilot led on the power driver was on, but not the pilot light of the 24 opto board or even the 10 opto board. I took that one on while my apprentices started cleaning and checking lights on the rest of the herd. I had checked their work on HGT, and it was well done, nice and solid.

Lucien was on top of his game. He was learning and listening, all the while contributing to the mornings work in an attentive fashion. Joanna as usual was taking care of all the details in her usual focused way and made sure everything was up to snuff and clean.
Lucien at the hands on historical pinball seminar at North Star last month. I consider that sort of course a prerequisite for our apprentices.
Lucien at the hands on historical pinball seminar at North Star last month. I consider that sort of course a prerequisite for our apprentices.
The Kiss-a-Scope had a paper jam in its thermal printer, we had missed that one since it was not written in the log book. But it was taken care of by Jordan who came in around 10:30 to do a few things before the launch party which was due to start at noon. We were all set and head off for lunch.

Mark Budman showed up at North Star for some parts he needed for a sound board project he is working on and we all went out on the Main to get a bite to eat at about 11:30. This consisted of sandwiches from a Hungarian deli across the street where Mark taught me dirty words in Hungarian. We then all sat in front of a Jewish headstone monument place that has long since stop doing business on the Main and talked pinball. After a while we head off our separate ways. Jordan and Lucien went back up to North Star to partake in the launch party for the latest Stern which had already developed two issues within the first week of operation. Later that day after the party (thank goodness) it developed another issue. Joanna and I fixed that when we made it back to the North Star around supper time.

Mark, Joanna and I head off to JamesSchid's workspace where we are preparing more EMs for rotation this fall season at North Star. Mark asked James questions about voltages and head back home after getting some answers. We then stripped down a playfield to the wood and took notes on the parts we would need to make this game worthy of operation again. After a couple of hours, Joanna and I head off to the North Star shop and the Montreal Pinball parts locker for stuff we needed and head off to Lucky Ho, - a new North Star location to deliver parts to the owner and fix two games that had developed minor issues. It was time to order beers, so we did. Jordan joined us and we caught up on the launch party developments and other things we needed to make eachother aware of. Talking about issues is so much better than texting back and forth. Clairity is more easily acheived face to face for technical matters and other things ofcourse.
Lucky Ho on the Main and Jordan tending to its' herd of machines
Lucky Ho on the Main and Jordan tending to its' herd of machines
The Montreal artist who did the graphics for Jurassic Park was at the launch party during the whole event which was a great success. Joanna and I showed up in the aftermath of the party and fixed Jurassic Park as the first order of business since it had an out of service sign on it. The static steel ball that is mounted on the playfield in front of the jeep had come off its anchor. We made it stick and bolted it down differently than factory after several tries and will order the warranty replacement parts Monday with Michel at P1AG. We also had the opportunity to meet the artist for Jurassic Park who bears the unlikely name of Johnny Crap, regardless, nicest guy, and David, a regular at our establishment asked me to open an EM up so that Johnny could see how they made pinballs back then. They had been talking history while Joanna and I fixed stuff. So I opened Capersville for him and his eyes filled with wonder as I manually engaged the score motor and some relays and sipped my beer at the work days end.
Talking pinball history at North Star. Photo by Jean-Pierre Duchense
Talking pinball history at North Star. Photo by Jean-Pierre Duchense
Finally started to wane around 8:30 and left the Montreal pinball scene behind and made my way back to the flutter above the trees and the bushes on the island of the "nones", happy and baffled.
Photo by David Bergeron
Photo by David Bergeron
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Goodness gracious! This time, I didn't even have to cross the border to pick-up this pin ball machine! :shock: :D
Attachments
Tomy_American-Pinball_20190916.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

As it always is before a trade show, things are pretty hectic in the preparation stages of it all. Many of you know this, yet even an old dog like myself is still blown away by the amount of effort, time and energy it takes to get things lined up and not mess up anyone's pre-orders, requests and let alone their expectations at the parts booth. Once again, I try to bring what people would like to see at the show, but it is impossible to bring everything people expect. And if I did bring everything (which is impossible) I would end up going back with so much of it. I think the goal is to go back as light as possible. Anyway, I do not want to bore anyone with the parts side of the show, let alone drive myself crazy with this, I am just happy to see everyone again and hopefully make your winter projects more enjoyable by bringing you the parts that you may need.

OK, on to the daily news.

Not much is happening so far this morning, let's wait for the afternoon edition. :lol:

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

R.A.B. wrote:I think the goal is to go back as light as possible. Anyway, I do not want to bore anyone with the parts side of the show, let alone drive myself crazy with this, I am just happy to see everyone again and hopefully make your winter projects more enjoyable by bringing you the parts that you may need.
I am actually fascinated at the logistics of vendors and how to strategize to bring maximal stuff with minimal returning. Can't wait to see what arrives!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

In Kanata with a couple of hours to kill....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

First night I've played pinball since the show.....after tomorrow it'll be 66 hours overtime done since then with 36 regular hours left in this week.

And it looks like I finally made arrangements for my Stern POTC I scored at an auction in Missiori to get shipped to Michigan for easier pick up.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Thinking alot about what is next. We are moving towards the end of another decade in a few months, as if that meant anything you say. Well, unless you want it to mean something, that is your choice.

I personally like dates, I take pleasure in making them mean something in order to trace the evolution of one's life. Yes, dates are meaningless philosophically, in fact they are simply a representational marker to agree upon for the sake of reference. That's all they are, until you inject them with purpose.

Life ends up being an empty affair when it is left to unfold without one's influence, and even then. Hell, some people's influence is lacking direction by nature, so they drift subject to the whims of ......

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

...the world and those people and objects that may be around them...

"When is next" is my question. There is at least 1 more "what is next" somewhat on the horizon.
Sending you a text which references a location that once was a bank RAB...

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:...the world and those people and objects that may be around them...

"When is next" is my question. There is at least 1 more "what is next" somewhat on the horizon.
I hope that some day all the talent and expertise we have seen amassed in our group/circle of friends will come together in one place to produce something truly out of the ordinary. Not for profit alone, but more importantly for the pure joy of accomplishment.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Sparky wrote:I love my job.....

NEW RIDE!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

20190930_120245.jpg
Nice wheels! :D
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

R.A.B. wrote:
WARLOCK wrote:...the world and those people and objects that may be around them...

I hope that some day all the talent and expertise we have seen amassed in our group/circle of friends will come together in one place to produce something truly out of the ordinary. Not for profit alone, but more importantly for the pure joy of accomplishment.
I hope that some day you will be less enigmatic and vague and tell us what you really mean ;)

:D

Cheers,
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

mrmikeman wrote:
R.A.B. wrote:

I hope that some day you will be less enigmatic and vague and tell us what you really mean ;)

:D

Cheers,
Daily News papers, or virtual rag versions like this here thread usually have a horoscope section, and/or stock market futures. In a way we should consider the exchanges between the warlock and myself (and whomever else decides to jump in) as being off the beaten path from the usual and often repetitive information found on so many forums. The g(r)eek islands come to mind for some reason, not sure why.

I believe that imagination and interpretation are essential prerequisites to actualization. Once again, consider the exchanges you find unclear as a sort of preamble in making real things come forth. In and through time these messy words and ideas will likely become something that will be easier to define as it all finally actualizes and appears to us in a shared reality.

Preambles between nut cases is a necessary part of this process, and what comes forth to be unique is always the product of some form of chaos. So what you call the enigmatic doesn't have to be anything else at this stage, and nothing needs to be totally defined as of yet. The confusion of creation will always be a prerequisite to new projects that stand apart from the ordinary. I don't know all the reasons for this, but there always seems to be some sort of crash around the creation process or even around the coming apart of established institutions of all sorts.
In the first few months of the North Star
In the first few months of the North Star
Volvo S70 May-2016.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Last night the warlock and I had a long phone discussion about the "next thing" and we more or less failed in achieving any sort of clarity about the project in loom. So we await the next round of discussions to once again attempt in edifying a concept which we REALIZE that we each have a piece of, and that it must come together somehow/somewhere in the future come hell or high water.

It was good to finally meet you at the OPGS Mike, hope we can talk in person again soon.

Rab

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

I don’t necessarily believe that unique can always be defined as chaotic. No time to get deep on it. ;)
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Things that have been created and now exist in reality (or are from the past) here that are quantifiable include:

Multiple Pinball Leagues all over the country, from MPL to Bluffs; The Ottawa Pinball Show, Hawkesbury Show, pinball and games at The Pint, the North Star and elsewhere.
Bluffs Pinball and North Star were both created within a week of each other almost 4 years ago this coming Christmas. Plus Pitt street, which inspired more than you can imagine...

More to come in the future, and much as RAB has stated, we are currently "flinging sh*t at the wall" right now and we will figure out in due course what sticks...and what comes next...

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Squid Salad Comparison and Pinball Machine Quality

There are a couple of brands of squid salad that I have dealt with recently. They both come from Portugal where they know the ins and outs of squid. Sure, there are a lot of other squid processing countries, but I have a tendency to lean towards the Mediterranean sea for its historical significance vis à vis my mindset.

I assume that you all know that ingredients in foodstuffs are listed in order of quantity on the packaging. A sort of less detailed bill of materials than let’s say what goes into making a pinball machine. The ingredients listed on a box of squid salad for example do not list the suppliers/provenance for each ingredient like some bill of materials may, in code ofcourse.

So as the person who pays for a product, a list of ingredients is all the “dope” you get about what is inside the can. Oops, I forgot, there are now nutritional charts, but we are not just taking about health here. We kinda know that the longer the list of ingredients is and the harder the words get to pronounce increases the health risk in consuming the inners of the packaging.

1) Squid, vegetable oil, onion, tomato, spices and salt.
2) Squid, olive oil, tomato, onion, spices and salt.

Some of you may say, “So what is the point Rab ? Have you not had your wheat grass this morning ?” No, I did have wheat grass this morning and some squid salad around 10 am. It wasn’t the wheat grass that disappointed prompting me to post on the Daily News, it was the squid salad # 1.

Hang on boys and girls, I want to make a point here. Hell, it is not just ingredients and quantity that makes up a good squid salad. So many more factors come into play, like the quality of ingredients, the variances in spices, and even how they press the vegetable mash to get the oils they use. Crazy huh, and that is just a can of squid salad, now just imagine a pinball machine and all the places where they can make changes to the quality of materials while keeping the bill of materials pretty much the same. A screw is a screw, right ? just like a 1-1/16” carbon steel ball is a 1-1/16” carbon steel ball, no difference right ? Numbers are easy to compare, quality is more difficult to gauge as accurately as a number representing a specific quantity.

I like the # 2 squid salad best. Strangely enough, (and lucky for me), it is less expensive at a small grocery store on the Main that sells it. The # 1 squid salad is a bigger brand and is carried at a large supermarket in my hood which is conveniently situated on the more beaten path when making my way home. Hell lots of parking near those monstrosities, ever look up at the whole ceiling in terms of real estate at a Loblaws ? But I digress.

So my point is this. So many factors make up quality, and that makes quality difficult to calculate and easy to alter, especially gradually without anybody really noticing. Price on the other hand is easily noticed when altered, even slightly. It is a number, a representational system of symbols we have agreed upon on long ago because of those crazy Arabs and Greeks who hung out around the Mediterranean a couple of millenniums ago.

So $3.95 for can # 1 is more than $2.95 for can # 2 no matter how you look at it now. The difference lies in what is inside each can, and this is where the scams are played out these days on the “smart” consumer who thinks they are getting a deal by just looking at the weight of the product, the price and maybe the ingredients as a basis for their purchase. Yikes !

“Hey Lester, look how much more salmon I get from Argentina than from the farms in Nova Scotia at that price.” Yikes again ! Now if you like the taste of a particular product, then price will matter less, I tend to agree. Nevertheless, there is nothing quite like wild sockeye Pacific salmon, in fact there is less and less of it these days much to do with our fucking with the quality that is inherent to life itself when left alone.

OK, enough already. Just a short writing interlude spree at lunch time. It will do me fine until tomorrow when I am near the North Star and my canned squid salad supplier.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend folks, weather looks good.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Making today happen first. The past has been melting away and is seems to have molded itself into the present post.
20191005_135821.jpg
Later tonight, gonna put a high score on a few things and say thanks to whomever is listening.
20191013_080157.jpg
Going to the end of the line - the 70 is my favorite bus line. Gonna ride that thing to the terminus and back.
20190616_123747.jpg
Thanksgiving weekend - say no more.
Just Be Present.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Went to a time warp concert last night....Coney Hatch and Helix.

Interesting collection of characters in the audience.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Been "good busy" lately. Lots happening and quite willing to answer to whatever comes on. That is what I call "good busy".

I bet you also know the opposite of that, (i.e. "bad busy"), I know it as well, quite well actually, but there seems to be much less of that in my life lately, - knock on wood. Bad busy is when almost everything you do in an attempt to make things right is failing and all you can accomplish at best is to put out fires and not let things get worse while not seeing any concrete results of advancement resulting from your most earnest efforts. Lots of that going around these days as people struggle to do their best in a world that is racing faster than the year before while the powers that be continue to plow ahead with little regard for the consequences of their short term thinking.

On my side of the equation, things seem to be moving along nicely, at least during the past couple of weeks, but we know time don't we ? Time will take care of all that good and/or bad stuff we are all subject to living. Time will take care of it in its own way and deal you a hand to play, then it is up to you. I can't say for sure, but maybe all these god damn observations are illusions. Apparently, most things are. I am told this by some friends of mine who are higher up on the spiritual ladder than I am. (Who knows how high that ladder can reach). However, I do know that when you are an empiricist, the world around me and you can be sort of understood in practical scientific terms and is hence easier to grasp mainly due to the representational thinking this school of thought demands. On the other hand, when being a metaphysician, empiricism goes to hell in a handbasket very quickly because metaphysics recognizes that there is something happening which we can not know empirically (through our senses) since what we are dealing with is beyond the physical nature of things. It messes up scientific beliefs by letting life happen in its natural and often chaotic state and without trying to cage it in order to define it,name it and then attempt to control it to some self serving end or another. In adopting a metaphysical approach to awareness, one can let life and events be just as they are and simply observe and possibly acknowledge the wonders and mysteries of life itself - these two approaches to life and work and art and love have always been a freakin' toss up for me, especially when it comes to repairing electro-mechanical devices. Fawk!!

Last night I went to check up on one of my favorite senior citizens belonging to the herd of machines that I shepherd for the North Star. This wonderfully majestic 60 year-old piece of art/machinery is on location at Fabuleux, or what is sometimes called the new Chez Serge on the Main. And yes they still have that mechanical bull which you can attempt to ride on when you are feeling brave enough and are properly lambasted.
20191022_163139.jpg
20191022_163146.jpg
20191022_163143.jpg
Happy to say that the latest fix Joanna and I administered on Saturday afternoon to this stunning 1958 Bally "All Star Deluxe Bowler" seems to have taken hold. Working well so far, so it looks like we nailed the intermittent bug we have been relentlessly chasing for quite a while now. Intermittent "bugs" are especially nasty & tenacious when you operate equipment for coin in someone else's business. You really need to come out looking like you are in control. :lol:

Operating remains a hell of alot of work. Lifting, moving, setting up, loading vehicles, rotating equipment, shopping machines, fixing broken stuff on the road, changing locks and coin mechs, making sure you got all the right stuff during set up to get the machines up & running properly, glass cleaner, pricing stickers, parking, dealing with clients who don't know the biz and all that entails in discussions, eating bad food, drinking too much and staying out way too late and getting in trouble etc. But, it is very satisfying when things go well, and they occasionally do. Hell, you should all try it sometime, and then you will likely be cursing the fool who told you to try it. The song remains the same. In the end, I truly enjoy fixing stuff, especially EM's, and this always seems to put a dumb foolish smile on my face mainly because I feel that I have fooled the empiricist nature in me somehow.
Rab grin fucking empiricism<br />Photo credit Valerie Guerriat
Rab grin fucking empiricism
Photo credit Valerie Guerriat
Last edited by R.A.B. on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

I will freely admit that I had to look up the word empiriscist. Very useful and meaningful word.

I have to say, that a line-up of pinball machines along a wall is great sight to see, but a line-up of pinball machines along a brick wall will always be amazing.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Fifty wrote:I will freely admit that I had to look up the word empiriscist. Very useful and meaningful word.
We have all been there Tim, looking for answers and explanations. It is like trying to carry a bag of hammers across a river full of eels, not slipping or getting the hammers wet, let alone the bag. :D

Forget what I wrote above, and thanks for posting Fifty, I mean that.

Fifty wrote about the pics in Rab's post -
-
I have to say, that a line-up of pinball machines along a wall is great sight to see, but a line-up of pinball machines along a brick wall will always be amazing.

I tend to agree, especially when you are flying off a mechanical bull. :jumpy

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

R.A.B. wrote:
Fifty wrote:I will freely admit that I had to look up the word empiriscist. Very useful and meaningful word.
We have all been there Tim, looking for answers and explanations. It is like trying to carry a bag of hammers across a river full of eels, not slipping or getting the hammers wet, let alone the bag. :D

Forget what I wrote above, and thanks for posting Fifty, I mean that.

Fifty wrote about the pics in Rab's post -
-

I tend to agree, especially when you are flying off a mechanical bull. :jumpy
So much that can be said, and yet; not time yet...
So much you could say... Well done Fifty...
Keep thinking. Keep posting. Keep doing.
All the very best my friends. GoGoGo.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

A frank daylight savings time inspired editorial concerning the days to come by a resident member of this here peanut gallery. Hey, moi j’aime ca les peanuts.

Lots of wind & rain lately. Trees have fallen and are damaged. Rightly so, ‘cause here comes the snow. All this may still be in the order of things this week, and so we move forward for now, yes ?

I do love that feeling of making it in from the outdoors when it’s cold,windy & rainy, don’t you ? Turning on the lights and turning up the heat a bit. Dry heat and bright lights are best for the days to come. Getting out the full spectrum light panel may well become necessary sooner than later. Do it soon. Preventive maintenance is key.

Then on December 21st the days will bring more light, about a minute a day, and the light will peak in June. But before we get there, to the next summer’s warmest sun we need to go through the FIRST THREE MONTHS OF 2020 and this will make us want to look to the light and the warmth of the days ahead. And heck, there will be a new decade beginning in 60 odd days or so. Let me be the first to welcome you to the 20’s once again, before they happen.

What’s next ? What now ? Do we just enjoy the floating to the finish line and try to avoid trouble, or do we look for challenges and stir things up in a world that seems to be losing its meaning and wonder. Do we turn to god again ? Or better yet, to yoga and soy yogurt. Do we dare to take things on that we are told we can not change ? We must (and will) eventually sort of have to face the music of our unimaginative and controlled times, and by the same token we will surely be looking for more light in the darkest periods of the new decade ahead.

I think that we know too much to be OK and mentally healthy in this civilized world. Can we survive the future without meditation, yoga, medication and lots of senseless physical exercises to get the “bugs” out of our brains. Shouldn’t our physical exercising produce something more than sweat and toxins while trying to maintain an even keel in the face of the vile turbulences and the personal mental stress & anxiety perspiring from these times ? Almost everything we hear, read or listen to seems important and is purposely delivered that way, yet not much of it is relevant via our acknowledgment, it gives us little we can really use to better our lives. We say that it informs us, but it makes most creative people anxious and paranoid and quells them from raising their voices against the manipulators. The automation of communication is also making it easier to cut off/tune out others. Those who know how to profit from the day to day of a population just trying to get by are ecstatic about this. “The man” has learned a few things since he was last challenged in the 1960’s. Now it is the most of everything and the best of nothing for the masses in his wonderfully useful and practical information age meant to save you time and make your life easier. He (the man) counts on us remaining tired, scared, paranoid, anxious and doubtful of our power as a population and society. So he promotes individuality and self importance in his communications by promoting your shampoo and choice of mass produced goods and continues to declare in all his ads that you deserve the best. How can you have quality via mass production I would ask ? But a strong and subtle influence is all around us helping us to not question too much or talk to eachother too much. The information age is about looking up and receiving the info that is so graciously offered and sending links to your friends. It will help to keep you informed and looking smart. There will be no time to ask anything crucial concerning our freedom being slowly appropriated to serve the man and him becoming all knowing about what your choices will be. He in return for the information on your habits will give you a little back in point form so you feel smart and important. So it seems almost impossible to know what we know without going at least a little bit crazy, so most of us do not admit that there is something out of balance with well being going on. I think that in the end that is what it will take, the population in general admitting, seeing and realizing that something is off balance. Then through some collective action there will be a possibility to disrupt the subtle control the man has over the masses. A reaction has to come from a realization and the latter comes about through questions. Problem is we are too tired, too dumbed down to question and too old to put up a real fight anymore.

Enough, that is not really what I wanted to say tonight.

It occurs to me that my dreams are still vivid and calling. I thought that desires would be quieter later in life, I was counting on it, but no, they seem just as exciting, disturbing and insistent as they felt in more youthful years. The body slows & weighs us down as we grow older, but the mind remains fast on the make, and on the take as well. Many people I talk to and who do not recognize their own human condition in the face of this dichotomy look to be wearing narrow minded smiles, almost on purpose. Most of them are also likely to harbour as much character as a paper cup until you stir them up a bit with ideas. They are what lively human beings turn into when they trade life for existence and ambition for security, they are often coaxed into those positions. But must not forget that they have also given in at one point, and hence also no longer making much of an an effort to edify the sedated youth which will be left to fend for themselves. They are not well equipped to question their reality anymore, and that will be their downfall and our failure..

Coming home -

“I was home in a sleeping world, a world as harmless as a sleeping cat. I unlocked the door to my apartment and went in and sniffed the air. Just standing there for a little while before I put the light on. A homely smell, the smell of dust and tobacco smoke. The smell of a world where men who are alone live and keep on living. I undressed and went to bed. I had nightmares and woke up out of them sweating, but in the morning light I was a well man again.”

Raymond Chandler (slightly off the actual quote)

Good night Nellie.

R.A.B.

Morning edit complete, have a banner day everyone.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Just twitching to get today over with, almost done my 36 hours overtime this weekend and then 7 days of glorious pinball nerdatry planned in the man cave. Pack up a few games so I can bring in some wood and start firing up the old wood stove soon.....winter plan is to work my way around the games tuning, cleaning, and waxing each one over the cold months.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Been thinking.

I was never big on routine, but I think I understand why people adhere to it. You can get alot of shit done if you have a routine and plow through it day in day out, problem I encounter is that I get bored with it rather quickly and feel like I am not living my life, feel used by the events and tasks. Somehow, I got to keep mixing it up, not sure if this is in protest of what I need to get done as opposed to what I want to get done. In both cases, and ideally, I want it to feel good.

I have an idea for a new thread about a routine that is filled with odd things, but remains a routine. I need another writing excercise apart from struggling with my damn main WIP (work in progress)

More later, or possibly soon.

rab

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

If my older brother is going to start a new thread, perhaps I need to post more...