IMPORTANT MAACA UPGRADE NEEDED *please read*

Let us know what we can do to improve the forum.
Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

IMPORTANT MAACA UPGRADE NEEDED *please read*

Post by Azatotht »

Good morning everyone.

I've known this for quite some time but we are now approaching the end of support for our current PHP version on the hosting server.

To make a long story short, MAACA is running an older version of the forum software that is NOT compatible with PHP 7+ and needs 5.6 in order to work properly.
The PHP 5.6 and 7.0 versions are no longer supported by PHP.net, and as such, are no longer receiving security updates or bug fixes which could lead to vulnerabilities.
This means that I need to upgrade MAACA to a newer version of the software which is NOT compatible with the themes and plugins that I was using currently. This is A LOT of work and frankly, I am not really motivated by this, especially since I was slacked on monday and will be working only 1 out of two weeks now because of the crisis.

Yesterday we were upgraded automatically and it didn't work (of course), I knew that. I then contacted the host to see for how long I could use the old PHP version while trying to upgrade this all, here's the answer:
Since these PHP versions are now obsolete they will not be available much longer on your Shared server! Once your server is fully upgraded, which will occur (within the next 4 weeks/on Thursday, 23 April 2020), PHP 5.6 and 7.0 will be fully removed from your server to improve the overall security of your site's hosting environment.
So yeah, just wanted to let you all know that if you depend on this site for communications and have no way to reach someone with an email or a phone number in the next couple of weeks, now is the time to establish contact.

Also, every customisations that I have made to the template and site cannot be upgraded because I have to start fresh since they changed the code architecture in the latest version. It is more than likely that the site will be a bit different at first, since I have to redo everything I have done and I don't remember everything. So be aware of that, don't freak out if the active topics button vanish at the top for example of if the post colors does not alternate. I will eventually get there but I'll start a thread after the upgrade in order to track everything that needs to be done. My main focus will be to convert the database and keep everything that was posted, including pms and images. I've done it before... but it takes time I don't really have or the motivation to do so.

Thanks for your understanding.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: IMPORTANT MAACA UPGRADE NEEDED *please read*

Post by Guard »

Thank you for doing all this....folks like you let morons like me stay online and be part of a social circle.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

mdeslaur
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by mdeslaur »

Azatotht wrote: This means that I need to upgrade MAACA to a newer version of the software which is NOT compatible with the themes and plugins that I was using currently. This is A LOT of work and frankly, I am not really motivated by this
Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Marc.

Steph
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Steph »

This reminds me that it's time to make another donation to the site.
(... hint hint all you MAACA Wacko's ! ;-)

Steph
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

Thank you!
Donation made

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

PHP is such a pain in the ass. I remember running an old forum that was using it and the same thing happen so I just let it go. What ever happened to new software being added to old software to make it better? Instead they take the Microsoft approach and just release new and stop supporting the old. Bah!

Maybe it's time to move to a different platform? I hear Tik Tok is pretty popular lately. I'm not really keen to start licking airplane toilet seats any time soon.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

I have 2 weeks left to do that so I've spent the whole afternoon yesterday working on it, trying to upgrade a local copy.

I broke it at my first try but I am currently on my second pass. I have good hopes.

I am writing the steps down properly, to make sure to upgrade the real one successfully.

So far I know that I have to remove ALL extensions and the current theme in order to succeed. The datatabase (posts, private messages, etc..) will convert properly.

After that I will have to add everything that have a compatible version back and work a bit on the theme. Some things won't be like they were but I will try to make it as close as possible.

I will build an online test using another domain before going forward with the real one, I will need help identifying what is wrong and what needs to be done. I'm not there yet but please, if you want to help me with this step (mainly testing and finding what needs to be done) then please msg me and I will let you know once I have something running.

We may be down for a bit when I'll do it for real, we can't escape this, database conversion takes a while and so does the steps to upgrade this all.

Thank you.

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Hey thanks Sylvain for all :)
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Ok guys and girls, I have a dev upgraded version working now on PHP 7.3 (on another domain) with all the posts and accounts (backed up from yesterday).

If you want to help me by testing and listing what needs to be done please pm me.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Chnillapoil wrote:Sylvain j'aimerais ça t'aider mais je suis dans les visières par dessus la tête :FP:
T'inquiètes pas Alain, je pense que je suis bien partie et j'ai déjà eu des offres d'aide.

Lâche pas mon chum!

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

OK, if you want to help, now is the time.

I am almost done converting everything, I have a brand new MAACA running and I made it look as close as possible to this one.

The only thing I need to fix in order to move forward is the iPhone/mobile vertical rotation that I had fixed on this board. The fix is not compatible with the new one...

Other than that, I think I'm ready. It is your last chance to help me find any remaining bug so please do if you can.

PM me for infos. Otherwise, you will eventually wake up to a new site (or a down site, cause the upgrade will take a while so we'll be a few hours down for sure).

I spent way too much time on this already so I am very eager to make the move.. it will happen soon, maybe tomorrow, who knows.

Thanks to those who helped me already, much appreciated.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Well I've just fixed the mobile picture orientation bug... pretty much ready.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Will pin ball games be cheaper? *fingers crossed*

foonleclown
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by foonleclown »

Merci pour ton travail !
Mame (Francis)

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG

Post by HPR Pinball »

Ca m'a l'air ok du premier coup d'oeil!
N'oublie pas la section donations :)

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Change is good. Posting works fine and so does the editing which is something I usually abuse.

Merci
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Had to stop in the middle, apparently kids were hungry :oops:

Will reactivate the donation section as soon as I can get back to it.

Ads seems to be acting weird, I will take a look at that too. I had less in the new template but I see more :FP:

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Donation script is back ! Please someone test it :mrgreen:

Splitskull
Admins
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Splitskull »

very fast to load like i told ya. look good! thanks

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG

Post by HPR Pinball »

Donation done, work nicely!
Hope many will recognize your work and how important is this place for the community.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Merci Maxime :D

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

So the new board is up and working fine.

All new phpBB 3.3 and PHP 7.3 which should allow us to cruise a few years again without hassle.

Everything is new and up to date. I made sure to make it look as close as possible to the old one but you will notice a few differences.

Interface icons are nicer, the new posts notification besides subjects is red now instead of a flashing arrow. Few colors are different too.

If you notice anything that is not working right please post in this thread for everyone to see (in order to help me fix and test it).

Last but not least, thanks to Dave W. and Fifty who helped me find the bugs before launch. Special thanks to mdeslaur, Sparky and Splitskull for their test drive as well.

Spent a good part of last week working on this, over 40 hours I would say. In the end, the real update took about 1 hour an a half which is not bad at all since it was well planned.

Thanks to everyone for your support, please keep posting and enjoying this site, I do it for you.

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

Looks great!
Thanks for keeping the site going.

DodgeThatOne
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by DodgeThatOne »

Merci beaucoup!

Tu fais un travail de pro.

Cheers

Chris

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Great Job Thanks
Looks great.
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4