What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Wacko

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by cait001 »

uberhare wrote:So I told myself not 2 hours before I am not going to get into another pinball restoration. I'm done. I even said that when someone was picking up Alien Poker just before I got into this.

I've had a Force II sitting on the back burner for years...Long enough I don't even remember where I bought it from or how much I paid for it! I was always waiting on finding a replacement backglass, as both the ones I have are in very poor condition. Until today I had never even plugged it in. I told myself, I'll just plug it in and see if it boots. Well the CPU boots but lots of issues that prevent play. First thing I wanted was to tackle the GI circuit it was out on the PF. Turns out there is a short somewhere. So i start my removing all the plastics to get to the bulbs/sockets.

2 hours later I have a mostly bare playfield and wonder what the hell did I get myself into? What is with this hobby??

ps - BG Resto has the artwork now for this machine.

Force II is a very underrated game. Lots of fun.
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

uberhare
MAACA Half-ling

Post by uberhare »

20200419_222816.jpg
I don't know why but this followed me home today. It is sitting in quarantine in the van for a few days before it comes in. I said no more projects & I just moved a couch back into the games room. Now the damn couch has to move again.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

uberhare wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm
I don't know why but this followed me home today. It is sitting in quarantine in the van for a few days before it comes in. I said no more projects & I just moved a couch back into the games room. Now the damn couch has to move again.
Hate when that happens. Hates it we do.
Flash Gordon,Pinbot,Mr. & Mrs. Pacman,RollerGames,
Black Knight,Black Knight 2000,Atlantis(Bally),Civic Center,
Jungle Lord,Granny & The Gators, Expressway,Flash Baseball
Mousin' Around,Badcats
LF: Bigger House

tom_454
MAACA Half-ling

Post by tom_454 »

I replaced all the back-box locks in my 11 pins to have the same key. I bought the locks about 6 years ago and just never got around to doing it. Boy the newer Sterns with metal backbox (wooden sides) are a pain in the ass. It was so simple on the original style. But I guess the new ones are certainly more secure as you can't break in to the back-box by simply removing a few screws.

It is also a pain in the ass when you have 7 pins tightly packed together - so little room to work. Oh well, it is done now. One of those tasks that I put off for way to long. :D

Anyway, I put together a quick guide for anyone that needs to replace the lock on a newer Stern pin.
Stern_BBox_lock_change.pdf
(489.07 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

djsupermariobros
MAACA Silent Type

Post by djsupermariobros »

3 days of pins and connector will watching smoky and the bandit 1-2-3- and cannonball run 1-2on the computor :D :shock:
Attachments
photo iphon2 22avril 2020 004.JPG
photo iphon2 22avril 2020 002.JPG
photo iphon2 22avril 2020 001.JPG
professional pinbal challenger 3 (power play) memory lane (stern) nugent (stern) mini arcade 412 in1 bartop 619 in 1 gottlieb sky jump now a addict to pinball ,bally monte carlo, gottlieb corral

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

djsupermariobros wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 pm
3 days of pins and connector will watching smoky and the bandit 1-2-3- and cannonball run 1-2on the computor :D :shock:
Great, inspiring resto work and excellent movie reminder suggestions!

Unfortunately, I was working on something other than my games but recently enjoyed First Blood! Rambo is coming soon! Might follow up with ... gosh ... forget the movie name. Lemme ask sumbody ... ADRIAN? ... ADRIANNNNE???

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Crazy weekend again. I needed to pull out World Series out of the shed for long-overdue pics for Cait (MY BAD!!!), and it never stopped this weekend. I should have known it would be nuts. LOL

Hobby-wise?
- I reorganized the shop and brought a project downstairs to make room for World Series to finish that off.
- Helped a friend buy a game and set up the deal for both parties
- I bought a game :FP: :FP: :FP: LOL

Non-hobby-wise?
- Cleaned up the yard
- Changed the brakes on wife's car
- Fixed my son's bike
- Chatted on zoom with the boys
- Took the kids to see, pet and feed some horses
- Washed the dog
- Cleaned my truck interior
- Fixed a railing on side entrance deck
- Cut up some old wood for external fireplace.

Damn... I am almost looking forward to another 2-week furlough starting this Friday evening. lol

Jesus, life is a damn rat race. LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

dr.nybble
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by dr.nybble »

Getting near the end of a major project fixing up BSD. I rewired the entire playfield (yup that took a long time) everything on connectors and colour-correct wire. Redecaled the cabinet. Looked at the speaker panel figuring I'll just do a quick clean and install the new plastic and new Flipper Fidelity speakers. Ugh! Looks like a home-made MDF replacement (which is okay actually not perfect but works). WRONG lamp PCB! It has a 7 lamp board instead of a 3 PCB flasher. Not even sure what it does. Wrong fasteners, wrong spacers...all those parts available from Marco anyway.

There is a possibility I can get the right PCB, BestOfPinball in Germany has it but not currently in stock.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

Busy weekend, and Monday for me.

My wife has been asking me to build her a trellis for our raised garden beds. I started building it, but noticed one side of the garden bed had rotted out. Rebuilt the side. Trellis is scheduled for tomorrow.

Our basement has been getting a pretty big makeover. Wall repairs, ceiling repairs, fresh coat of paint, new ceiling, new lighting. Finally got around to hanging a television in the basement. Hung it using a French cleat, build a small shelf for my son out of some leftover cedar decking. Just need a grommet to finish off the hole in the wall.
IMG_20200504_194907.jpg
The back room in the basement has been used for loose storage of pretty much everything. I want to turn it into a soldering/pin fix room so I removed everything from it. Walls were beat to hell and punched full of holes. 2 of the 3 outlets were so old (house was built in 1960's) that they had corroded and didn't work. A couple coats of putty, light sanding, and then painted to match the rest of the basement. All 3 outlets replaced. Still need to redo the ceiling and add different/more lighting, and paint the window(s) trim. I'll purge the storage items and put some things back into the room. Need to work out where my workbench will be located.
IMG_20200504_194838.jpg
IMG_20200504_194938.jpg
IMG_20200504_194946.jpg

Started cleaning out my gameroom. The idea is to fit pinball machines in here. I can probably fit 3, but I don't know if I'll ever get that many. Anyway, started selling off some of my non-nostalgic game items using eBay.
IMG_20200504_195016.jpg
IMG_20200504_195021.jpg
IMG_20200504_195026.jpg

Oh, and we got this guy a week ago. He's only 6 weeks old. We named him Leonardo DiCatprio, or Leo for short.
IMG_20200503_171945.jpg

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Picked up a really nice Countdown today.
Attachments
20200508_160211.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/Card Whiz/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Countdown/Shaq Attaq
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Jolly Roger/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko

Post by Honey Badger »

Nice score Bruce, I was eyeing that myself!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

20200510_192147.jpg
It is a Good Day.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

Xylog wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Xlog in England.jpg
Xlog in England.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 694 times
It is a Good Day.
Did you pick that up in England Rob ? The god-dam plunger is on the left, you know you are not suppose to travel like that for trivialities. :lol:

The other Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Xylog wrote:
20200510_192147.jpg

It is a Good Day.
Mousin Around won't be happy :FP:

Nice score
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Meteor , Star Trek
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack , meteorites

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

dr.nybble
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by dr.nybble »

I found that my BSD had an Addams Family lamp board in the speaker panel! I learned the basics of KiCad and created the right board based on a BSD #2 I have here. Sent to China for fabrication, $50 for 5 boards shipped.

I also paid more for Marco shipping than the parts cost ouch.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

steamfitter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 am
Xylog wrote:
20200510_192147.jpg

It is a Good Day.
Mousin Around won't be happy :FP:

Nice score
Heard them fighting last night. True story.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

R.A.B. wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:36 am
Xylog wrote:
Xlog in England.jpg
It is a Good Day.
Did you pick that up in England Rob ? The god-dam plunger is on the left, you know you are not suppose to travel like that for trivialities. :lol:

The other Rob
Driving across the pond was a challenge. You have to get your speed juuust right to get to truck to skip over the water.

And cats hate water. :)
20200511_020925.jpg
Mousin' Around,Badcats

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

CRANK THEM UP AND LET THEM FIGHT!!!
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Well, I brought in a friend's games to clean and shop out at his request. The game play great but need new controls and a good cleaning.

And fun for me, they are small... NOT. LOL. A 4-player Simpsons, a Mortal Kombat II and a Champion Edition Super Street Fighter 2.

So, they are in my shop now but will go downstairs once washed down. I will get that done in a day or 2. The World Series pins are priority 1. I promised Cait.

So these ginormous games will have a spot in Sparky's Power Room for a little while.

And that makes another golden rule broken. NO FIGHTER GAMES. LOL

Who knows. I may like them. I know the kids will love Simpsons. LOL

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

MK2 and Simpsons are now downstairs.

Owww...... lol

World_of_Warships
MAACA Silent Type

Post by World_of_Warships »

I looked around for my next arcade and figured it could be Xevious or Battlezone... before remembering about a beat up Sinistar I used to play... Then I realized none of those must be easy to find or even fix, so I called it the day, still dreaming of a Tron pinball (or was it the original Tron arcade?)

Definitely a Tron pinball would work!
At Stage 1, slowly moving to Stage 2

I also drive a Tier X Yamato in World of Warships

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

R.A.B. wrote:

The other Rob
Hey wait a darned minute. "Trivialities?" Pinball ain't trivialities! :o

Fight me.
Mousin' Around,Badcats

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

I picked up a decent condition Pike's Peak circa 1939-1941.
Problem is one of the internal metal bars is broken & missing.
It's a metal bar that would get pushed by the coin slide to let everything reset. Not super complex, but metal is not my forte at all.
Anyone have any experience working on metal levers? Maybe a local slot machine expert?
Willing to pay for your talents!

Everything else about it works great.
20200510_173314.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

Xylog wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm
R.A.B. wrote:

The other Rob
Hey wait a darned minute. "Trivialities?" Pinball ain't trivialities! :o

Fight me.
LoL, congrats on the cat and mouse thang coming together side by side in your abode Rob.

Being a cat person myself, can't say this would necessitate any sort of dog fight on either side of that equation. :lol:

As far as the hobby pissing on my leg is relevant, I woke up this morning with the idea of heading out to my parts locker because I think that after two months of not messing with much pinball related stuff, I kinda mostly miss parts. So maybe I should have a look around at some stuff that I have already forgotten about in such a relatively short period of two months. After that proposition came forth in the A.M., I thought about pinball events and gatherings possibly being of the same nature on the " I miss you" scale for me. The last OPGS and Pincon @ the Oylmpia Bowl seemed to have occurred such a very long time ago, but that is not really true. Both were under a year ago, so why does it feel like so much longer than that ? I think that the latter question answers itself. It's like being married to a tax accountant, 6 months would tend to feel like 5 years.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25426&p=216706#p216706 No way that was last summer.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25716&p=219129#p219129 No tornado that time.

Well, no more cheek to cheek dancing, hugs and kisses with whoever you fancy anymore or even pinball tournaments for a long while yet, oh well. Methinks it's gonna be a cold pinball summer on the social side of things.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Fri May 15, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

Dave W.
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Dave W. »

cait001 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm
I picked up a decent condition Pike's Peak circa 1939-1941.
Problem is one of the internal metal bars is broken & missing.
It's a metal bar that would get pushed by the coin slide to let everything reset. Not super complex, but metal is not my forte at all.
Anyone have any experience working on metal levers? Maybe a local slot machine expert?
Willing to pay for your talents!

Everything else about it works great.

20200510_173314.jpg
That thing is cool. I had to watch a YouTube video to see exactly what it does. I Can't help you with the levers.... sorry

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”