What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by cait001 »

I am so so so impressed with what Elwin has done. I'm sure the Pro is an amazing game, but the Prem/LE features blow me away far beyond any other Stern
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

cait001 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:06 am I am so so so impressed with what Elwin has done. I'm sure the Pro is an amazing game, but the Prem/LE features blow me away far beyond any other Stern
Keith Elwin's games are excellent, imho. I did not want to stop playing after a couple hours of exploration. Iron Maiden is still a fav but JPLE is great too. I have yet to play AIQ, darnit.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Built some adaptor boards so I can put LEDs in Star Trip.
A5ECF80E-CCD3-4653-965B-0EF96E858503.jpeg
3B3CD0F5-2443-489F-B409-1541A95B9D10.jpeg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Went to my new shop after work at Alouette today and spent a good three hours there by myself organizing this amazing space while letting Montreal traffic subside, and in those free wheeling moments of re-organizing my stuff for the next chapter of my life, I felt like a kid again and that is something I haven't experienced in ages. It scared the shit out of me even though it felt so good. So I am very happy today, and will probably be in the same space tomorrow as I take on four home service calls, which is a lot for one day, but the demand is growing as more people acquire these things for their homes and I am more than ready to respond with the experience that can only come with time, trial and error over so many years. I felt good knowing that my new space is dedicated to the business of home service which I have been answering to since 1990, and now this shop is definitely a place to grow from and share with the real friends I value and who are likeminded.

Last Monday, an acquaintance of Cybercid's brought me a Gottlieb "Target Pool" on his way up to Mont Tremblant. This couple had planned a two night getaway up there and hauled up this pinball machine that had been seriously fucked with and had never played properly since they purchased it from the owner who said it was just a fuse. Well. it wasn't only that. This couple is from Victoriaville and Pierre had spent hours trying to get their pinball to play right and probably cursing in French under his breath. He did not succeed to resolve the hassles and finally told them to bring it to the Montreal Pinball shop since it was their best chance at getting it to play as it should. Target Pool is a fantastic game by Gottlieb, and the problems I observed were just as extraordinary. Without the schematic (I had two copies in my files) I would have taken much longer to resolve the problems. They picked it up on their way back down from the Laurentian wilderness.

But back to this day.

Just sorting out this massive parts inventory and seeing some really cool things I haven't seen since I left Pitt street in 2015. Made me feel like my world had a good chance at coming around again. All this history and all these parts and industry artifacts that I have unintentionally accumulated over 30 years of flirting with the hobby and then working in the industry throughout my life hit me hard tonight. I even found my long lost crazed monkey ring and stuff from trade shows when Bally/Williams ruled. I was besides myself and felt sad for the noobies who are paying such a high price to get into pinball now with all this hype and marketed bullshit. And even though I am 58, I felt crazy happy and free from the world of screwballs and the corporate clowns who make us think that the world is theirs to sell to us. The human condition remains eclectic and wild, controlling it reduces the creativity that is innate in all of us. Did you ever get the urge to punch a salesperson in the throat when they talk the talk and assume that you for a moron who doesn't know what you want ? I have that urge every time I see any form of advertising.

I don't think there is any other place I would rather be than where I am at present. I will defend my happiness from those who want to make things one dimensional and limit the possibilities and choices that we are blessed to acknowledge as intelligent sentient beings.

"Fuck it dude, let's go bowling"

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I compiled pictures + the data from a 1938 Bally Operator collections book and put it online for people to download https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021 ... -book.html
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Got a Pop-a-Puppet pin ball and thankfully it's slightly smaller than a classic Stern because my basement is full! :oops: I scored 11,100 on my first game. 8-)
Attachments
20211025_173935.jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

So much accomplished today.
So little to report until much later.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

lol come on

they actually put in longer and longer lane guides instead of just filling in the damn holes once
820E8883-F0DB-44E1-941C-B7B90D5FA728.jpeg

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Cleaned up and led'd an old friend. Today I try and unstick the backglass from the lightboard. Can't get to the bulbs in the head right now....
Attachments
20211030_190612.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Guard wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 am Cleaned up and led'd an old friend. Today I try and unstick the backglass from the lightboard. Can't get to the bulbs in the head right now....
Very nice
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

20211023_155449.jpg
Picked up these two Gottliebs.
Got the Pro Football up and running.
Attachments
20211031_170356.jpg
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I get this might be extremely outside the limits of what counts as "in the the hobby", but as many of you know I've been doing research on tamakorogashi - Japanese Rolling Ball. http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... -ball.html
I got a toy version of the game from around 1931 and then hired an artist to redo the box art:
Box smaller 1500x.jpg

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by GILV »

cait001 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:52 am I get this might be extremely outside the limits of what counts as "in the the hobby", but as many of you know I've been doing research on tamakorogashi - Japanese Rolling Ball. http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... -ball.html
I got a toy version of the game from around 1931 and then hired an artist to redo the box art:

Box smaller 1500x.jpg
1931 Japanese pinball?
Maybe the equivelince of us playing marbels outside when we were in elementary school, right?

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

GILV wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm1931 Japanese pinball?
Maybe the equivelince of us playing marbels outside when we were in elementary school, right?
Read the article I linked for proper context. Japanese Rolling Ball doesn't have anything to do with pinball, but is the lost ancestor of modern day redemption arcades.
I actually suggest just not reading the article, most pinball fans don't care about arcade stuff before 1977, let alone before 1931! :lol:
this is as esoteric arcade nerd stuff as it comes

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

something more recent but still somewhat esoteric, a few photos of 1976 wall games:
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... -1976.html
that also links to a fresh scan of Replay magazine Year In Review in case you want to see every USA arcade machine released that prior year.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Last edited by WARLOCK on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

my two British grail machines, now side by side
20211105_164333.jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Last edited by WARLOCK on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

I think I've spent more on new fasteners for this Chicago Coin Bullseye than the machine itself cost. :FP:
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

Hauled my ass out of pinball retirement and finally got my Firepower up and running. It's been sitting here for probably 3 years in the corner!

Replaced all the Molex connectors for the thru pins that join the boards together.
Traced the sound card issues- no speech. Started with the logic side of the board, all seemed to be working with data flowing from the voice module. Had to crack out the old scope and trace the audio signal back. Turned out to be a dead op-amp. I'll pop over to Sayal tomorrow and get one to finish it up.
Striped most of the playfield, cleaned and waxed.
Replaced about 60 bulbs. I think there were as many dead as working!
All new rubbers
Washed all the plastics
Playtest and switch adjustments
A few small wiring repairs

I'm really pleased how it turned out for a grubby machine. I should have taken before and after pics. Really enjoyed working on this one. It needs 1 display, but Dave is shipping it out tomorrow. Back in the saddle boys....
20211113_223550.jpg
20211114_202741.jpg
20211114_191543.jpg
20211114_224124.jpg
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

uberhare wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:53 pm Hauled my ass out of pinball retirement and finally got my Firepower up and running. It's been sitting here for probably 3 years in the corner!
In my opinion, Firepower would haul any die hard pinball player and/or freak out of retirement, what a great game. Welcome back uberhare, and yes you qualify as die hard, so keep on keeping on dude.

Recently saw a Firepower 2 go through my workspace and man, that ain't bad at all either. Games that would challenge & entertain instead of just dazzle the latest pinball player's disposition. Maybe in 20 years, they may remember how great the latest commercially licensed pinball was, probably not, themes or design will be lost to make room for the most recent noise, but that is the nature of the new commercial world cometh, and they will keep it going as long as it pays. Ok.

I personally don't play much, I would rather fix and test play, but some games and some of the people I love and appreciate can certainly revive that player spark in me, a spark that will likely never die out completely as long as there is something to think about and appreciate besides a ruleset and score. In time, those who use more than 5 % of their brains will simply become more educated and selective rather than gobble everything that they are exposed to and that which is held up as some pinnacle. New machines so rarely spark the more seasoned player for very long anyway, temporarily interesting . In a way, it boils down to "No memories = no depth", just simple and superficial wows don't cut it for me now that I am older. Difficult for many of us vets to get a thrill out of the newer games, but as I said to Chris Silver previously on MAACA, this is not our world anymore, it has become marketed and there are alot of people falling for anything loud lately as the world falls apart and people become dumber and their phones become smarter and big box commercialism destroys creativity beyond any human dimension worth even noting. It is like Japense commercials on TV, if they aren't loud and repetitive, no one pays any attention. It is like, hey that's cool, what's next ? Hurry up with the next thing because I get bored easily now that my attention span has been trained to be short. Oops, too late Rab, you lost me.

"No worries," I say,
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Last edited by WARLOCK on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

R.A.B. wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 pm I personally don't play much, I would rather fix and test play, but some games and some of the people I love and appreciate can certainly revive that player spark in me, a spark that will likely never die out completely as long as there is something to think about besides a ruleset and score.
I enjoying fixing and tinkering more than playing myself. Just haven't had the time for it. I needed some stuff from Mouser and felt bad for Firepower just sitting here, so I ordered the parts I needed. The newer machines don't do much for me. I can't stand LED bulbs either, they do my head in. I find they are too bright and distracting. Early S/S is my era.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by uberhare »

I have decided today Firepower will move into my 5 keepers line up. I'll call it the Fantastic 5 - Mars GOW, Black Hole, Pinbot, Firepower, Dr Who.

Originally I thought I would fix FP to sell, but I'm really enjoying it. Pinbot is in there because it was given to my son as a present 10 years ago, I'm not allowed to sell it. Once he has a place of his own it will get replaced. 2 more to fix....

Now I struggle with the 2 Zaccaria games I have. They are soooo clean and I love the artwork, but they are EM's and rarely get played. In fact they have been sitting just long enough I have to clean some switches again.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

At the Neighborhood Pub, trying to settle a score with that damn Seawitch