Is it possible to get a sub $10K Addams Family?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Is it possible to get a sub $10K Addams Family?

Post by Fifty »

Hi all, just looking for your opinions on this. I've been leaning towards Addams Family as a possible next pin. I can't afford a refurbished one, so I need a player's condition or even a non-working project one. Is it still possible to find one like this under $10K? I'm normally a buyer in the $8K range (I can't believe it's even gotten to this point). Thoughts? Opinions?

Side conversation: I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Still transitioning to our new life in NB, but we are making it work.

luch
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Is it possible to get a sub $10K Addams Family?

Post by luch »

for 9999 you can find one needing work and cleaning , at 8k no way , for 12-15k a very nice example

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

No
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by necro_nemesis »

Yes but you need a time machine first.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

GILV
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by GILV »

necro_nemesis wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm Yes but you need a time machine first.
.....or someone who does'nt know the value of what he's selling.

Wait, does this mean that Addams Family is worth more than Twilight Zone??
If so, why?

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Two things : I find that Addams Family is a very sought after game, not only by pinheads but also newcomers that remember the game and always thought 'one day..'
Second, I haven't seen a Addams Family that wasn't being well taken care of, well not recently anyway!

Sought after, fun game in great condition (condition is king) equals 12K and over. With current market, could be way more..

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

GILV wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:37 pm
necro_nemesis wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm Yes but you need a time machine first.

If so, why?
Probably about the same value. When I first got into the hobby in 1998. TAF was more than TZ. Remained that way for some time and eventually I think they evened out.

TAF is a much more approachable game. Many people remember playing it in the arcade. It's an easy game to understand and play which explains why it sold so well. It's the same reason it gets old when you own one. TZ takes some effort to play. Casuals will get frustrated with TZ.

I bought my TZ back in 1999 or 98. Still have it and love it. Bought TAF a few years after that and sold it within a few months. I love playing it, but don't need to own it.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

TwilightZone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:40 pm
GILV wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:37 pm

If so, why?
Probably about the same value. When I first got into the hobby in 1998. TAF was more than TZ. Remained that way for some time and eventually I think they evened out.

TAF is a much more approachable game. Many people remember playing it in the arcade. It's an easy game to understand and play which explains why it sold so well. It's the same reason it gets old when you own one. TZ takes some effort to play. Casuals will get frustrated with TZ.

I bought my TZ back in 1999 or 98. Still have it and love it. Bought TAF a few years after that and sold it within a few months. I love playing it, but don't need to own it.
Hmm... Interesting perspective. I haven't had the opportunity to play one much except for the occasional outing at TARG and back in the day at Merivale Bowling. A few years back, probably like 5 years, I found one at Magic Mountain in Moncton. That one I played and wow, I felt sorry for it. It had been so abused. The outholes in the playfield were massive, the left flipper was useless, the playfield was down to the wood in sections, parts were broken, every plastic was cracked or missing pieces, the GI was dead, and half the inserts weren't working. There were cigarette burns all over the cabinet and the DMD wasn't legible. I nearly shed a tear for it.

I'm search it out here and try playing it a lot more before I decide to shell out $12K+

Thanks for the advice guys!

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

On that, and a bit off topic and kind of a generic comment, but people forking over 12-13K on an older generation game do so because they've always wanted it in the first place. I love playing those older games, but I get way more out of the newest games for about the same price. Sure, the built quality is no longer there, but for example a game like Mando just gives you so much more, IMO..

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by tom_454 »

I would agree that TZ and TAF in equal shape command about the same value these days. I personally prefer TZ. The games are too similar in style/substance to own both. I guess you could own both but having them both set-up in the game room at the same time would not be my choice.

Good luck in your search!
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

World_of_Warships wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:05 pm On that, and a bit off topic and kind of a generic comment, but people forking over 12-13K on an older generation game do so because they've always wanted it in the first place. I love playing those older games, but I get way more out of the newest games for about the same price. Sure, the built quality is no longer there, but for example a game like Mando just gives you so much more, IMO..

I agree, played AF and TZ many times and for 12k$ your best choice is by far a new Stern premium model.

Unless you are a collector with crazy money or a nostalgic with crazy money, if you just want to have fun for the money, 30 years old pins are a very bad choice for those crazy prices.
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

I can totally see buying a Stern Pro model instead of buying an AF. There is just so much more game in the newer Pro's. It's odd being in the hobby right now for sure. You essentially have a sub $5K category for buying and a $10K+ category. All those games that were in the $8K are slowly creeping up. Actually, forget the word slowly. They launched into that higher price bucket fast! I'm lucky I got my Star Trek Pro for $7K. I guess there are games that are hanging in there under $8K then but they seem really scarce now.

ibenaiah
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 7 times

Post by ibenaiah »

Totally agree... most of the mid-priced games (previously $6-9k) have jumped 50% into the top tier price range ($10k+)... narrowing the price gap to the top tier titles, which haven’t appreciated at the same pace.

Zak Rose
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Zak Rose »

Nope.