Leons test rom

Talk about solid-state and DMD pinball machines
Flyer666
MAACA Super Contributor

Leons test rom

Post by Flyer666 »

I got a MPU-200 that the led light is on all the time. I was looking for solutions and saw this `Leons test rom on this site:
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Has anyone tried this or have another solution....

Tks

Larry
"A 30 year old game will never, EVER be "100%". That's part of the charm of the game and of the hobby.. fixing is part of the hobby. It's like wrenching on an old car, and often therapeutic"

Atomicboy
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Leons test rom

Post by Atomicboy »

The leons test roms for all systems are a must for repairing boards. They pulse all outputs, and make locating issues easy. You need an oscilloscope and a PC PS. Dave Astille can make them for you. Clays guides, well, guide you through what to check with it.
WTB: nadda

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

MPU-200 - Stern MPU board, right ?

In my opinion, there is no need for additional test ROM chips for the Bally or Stern MPUs of that vintage.
Using the readily info from the web, a schematic, a multimeter and a logic probe, these boards are fairly easy to fix.
... providing no hacks and low amounts of corrosion...

However, Williams boards for Systems 3-7 might be easier to fix with the Leon ROMs...

Good luck & Cheers,
- Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

necro_nemesis
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by necro_nemesis »

For Sys 7 repairs I found the ROM a necessity but can't tell you from experience if the version he makes for the MPU-200 would be as helpful. All that's to say is what he has offered for what I've worked on was of great value in doing the repair.
Pins: Scared Stiff - Getaway - Funhouse - Twilightzone - No Fear - Attack from Mars - Indiana Jones - Cirqus Voltaire (prototype) - Medieval Madness - Tales of Arabian Nights. Arcades: Robotron (cocktail) - Stargate - Midway Haunted House. Jukes: Seeburg 100c - Seeburg 222.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

Bally MPU200? If it has proper power, and it doesn't boot its likely the reset circuit. You can manually boot it by shorting the reset pin to the one beside it (39/40 if I recall correctly). If that causes it to boot, change the transistor (Q5) in the reset circuit and try it. The LED should flash a total of 7 times, each flash is after it passes a system test. If it still doesn't boot remove U8, U10 & U13. The CPU will still start without those roms (but will not pass all 7 tests.)

If you want to haul it to me, I can fix it. :)
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

Just noticed you are only 20-30 minutes from me....

I have a scope....
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Flyer666
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Flyer666 »

uberhare wrote:Bally MPU200? If it has proper power, and it doesn't boot its likely the reset circuit. You can manually boot it by shorting the reset pin to the one beside it (39/40 if I recall correctly). If that causes it to boot, change the transistor (Q5) in the reset circuit and try it. The LED should flash a total of 7 times, each flash is after it passes a system test. If it still doesn't boot remove U8, U10 & U13. The CPU will still start without those roms (but will not pass all 7 tests.)

If you want to haul it to me, I can fix it. :)
Let me try your the above first.

Tks

Larry

Ps I work in Stratford...making boilers
"A 30 year old game will never, EVER be "100%". That's part of the charm of the game and of the hobby.. fixing is part of the hobby. It's like wrenching on an old car, and often therapeutic"

pincoder
MAACA New Contributor

Post by pincoder »

Hi,

I've written some ROMs for Williams System 6 machines (and perhaps all system 3-6) games that are very simple to use, and can be used in-game, so you don't need any test fixtures.

install and power up each ROM in order to quickly help you identify problems with your entire machine.

They have been tested on a GORGAR (system 6) machine and work great! I have not yet tested on systems 3 and 4 so at the moment I'm calling them system 6 test roms. If you are able to try them on system 3/4 please let me know (pincoder@reversion.ca)

They are 2716 (2K) ROMs and can also be used in a 2816 EEPROM.

You can get them all in a single zip file here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

Hope this helps!

Craig

Flyer666 wrote:I got a MPU-200 that the led light is on all the time. I was looking for solutions and saw this `Leons test rom on this site:
http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

Has anyone tried this or have another solution....

Tks

Larry