Wrestling!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Wrestling!

Post by Mike »

Well seeing as how the last couple pages of the daily MAACA chat have been steered towards wrestling, I decided to start a thread so we can discuss some of our favourite wrestlers and wrestling moments from the history of WWE/WCW/ECW/NWA/ Any other wrestling promotion you used to watch.

I was watching Monday Night Raw this past week, and there was actually a pretty neat surprise return. I'm sure lots of you remember the big man Vader from back in the day.. Well he showed up this week, at 58 years old, and actually put on a pretty decent match where he won! The crowd reacted huge when they heard his music, and during the match they were chanting "you still got it". It was just a fun little unexpected match that shows that even today's audience still remembers and respects the stars of the past.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Wrestling!

Post by WARLOCK »

Awesome Mike. Thanks for starting this thread. I am sure you will have many contributions. Woo hoo! I will read with great interest.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Ok, I am dying to know what happened to Dynamite Kid. Thanks for the utube post Twilight Zone. It reminds me how of awesome he was in the day back then, or even compared to others now. I remember watching all his matches, and then injuries, but what became of him?

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

WARLOCK wrote:Ok, I am dying to know what happened to Dynamite Kid. Thanks for the utube post Twilight Zone. It reminds me how of awesome he was in the day back then, or even compared to others now. I remember watching all his matches, and then injuries, but what became of him?
Drug abuse and severe neck and back injuries (probably due to multiple flying headbutts and snap suplexes) have confined him to a wheelchair, unable to walk in years.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Wow, thanks for the update Sparky. Very sad about Dynamite kid. Not sure I am happy I asked now, but he was awesome then.
On a more positive note then, anybody see the rise of the Rock coming? Wrestling to movies and Hollywood? My kids love any Disney movie and action picture he was in. Would love to see him wrestling again.

Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Mike »

Actually, The Rock did come back and wrestle in the main event of this year's Wrestlemania which was only a few months ago! And he actually won the match too, and still looked good in the ring. He also announced that he plans on competing at next years Wrestlemania and teased that he wanted to become WWE champion one more time. Although he obviously will never be a full time wrestler ever again, I can see him doing 1 or 2 matches per year.

stiffler4444
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by stiffler4444 »

What about AWA.....Abdulah the Butcher....
Present: The Sopranos.
Past: F-14 Tomcat, BSD, Cyclone, Haunted House, BK2000, Black Rose, Goldwings, Phantom of the Opera, Panthera
Future: ???

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Wow, shocked into reality update again! Thanks for the update Mike. I will search for that as I would love to see that fight. I will try and find it and also watch it and look forward to seeing him fight again. If anyone has a link, please post it, if you know.
And as for Abdulah the butcher, any links you know of we can view him on? I remember kind of, but need a push to really recall.

Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Mike »

Here is The Rock vs. John Cena from this years Wrestlemania. Just note that the first 15 minutes of the video is just the entrances, as they had special guest performers at the show. Also, quality isn't the best, but hey it's free.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Holy smokes Mike, I am still working, but I will watch what I can. Thank you.

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by monkeybug »

Someone at my gym mentioned this ESPN short. Extremely interesting and quite sad about Razor Ramon (Scott Hall).

mwong168
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by mwong168 »

Thanks for posting that video about Scott Hall which was pretty sad. The Razor Ramon character had some memorable feuds and matches with Sean Michaels and along side with Kevin Nash forming the NWO. Those were some of the best times in wresting when competition was cut throat between Vince and Ted Turner for TV ratings that I use to find myself wearing out the Last Channel button on my remote. I also miss tag team action and there was a time where that division was more exciting to watch then singles matches too. Hart Foundation and British Bulldogs matches were some of my favorites.

Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Mike »

Well tonight is the monthly WWE pay-per-view, and this month's one is called No Way Out. However thanks to the wonders of the internet, I will be watching it for free and streaming it on my TV :P

Ricker
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Ricker »

Before wrestling became big, I used to watch the matches on a Saturday afternoon cheering on Edouard Carpentier, Giant Jean Ferre and hating Mad Dog Vachon or Killer Kawalski. I youtubed some of those matches and I realize that it was good at the time but could not compare to wrestling in the later years.

Randy Macho Man Savage and his lovely manager Elizabeth were my favs in the 80's, even George the Animal Steele would make me laugh with his craziness. Ahh, there were so many entertaining wrestlers!

I visited a web site a few years ago, it was a memorial type website for all of the wrestlers that have passed away and what I noticed is that the majority of them passed away from cardiac issues (maybe due to steroids and excessive weightlifting?) and from extreme misadventure. Fame and fortune took its' toll on many of them.
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/ricker

WTB: Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Mystic, Count Down, TX-Sector, Jacks Open, Roller Disco, Seawitch, Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Grand Lizard, Firepower II, Scorpion, Star Light, Star Trek TNG, Phantom Of The Opera, Nautilus (Playmatic), Dialed In.

Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Mike »

Just wanted to revive this thread to let everyone know that tonight is the historic 1000th episode of MONDAY NIGHT RAW!! It has been heavily promoted that there will be many legends of the past returning tonight, so tune in to see! The show starts at 9 on The Score network

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Thanks for the update Mike. I will try and view it or at least PVR it and watch it later.

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I missed half of it due to the skies falling on our heads last night, and me losing the sattelite signal for 90 minutes. Been really looking forward to it for weeks, only to get shafted by the weather.

Oh well.

Lowrent
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Lowrent »

I have absolutely zero interest in wrestling but french-speaking members could like this track :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0g2mbVnuQ

You can hear Eddy Creatchman talking about Dino Bravo and Swede Hanson.
Hilarious speech

Mike
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Mike »

Sparky's Revenge wrote:I missed half of it due to the skies falling on our heads last night, and me losing the sattelite signal for 90 minutes. Been really looking forward to it for weeks, only to get shafted by the weather.

Oh well.

Well I believe it is being replayed on the same channel tonight at 7 pm, so you may still be able to see it.