Question regarding Roms

Talk about anything that you would like.
Bagdad
MAACA Mage

Question regarding Roms

Postby Bagdad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

I was wondering if upgrading the ROMs affect the game adjustments settings like difficulty, timers, etc.

Ex: Usually when the machine is at the factory settings, difficulty settings are all set to "medium". Will the rom upgrade change these to hard or anything else?

If yes, then what happen when you are at the lastest roms version, and perform a reset factory setting? Will everything go back to the settings "previous" rom. Or will the roms overwrite the default settings set by factory after the reset?
Own: Diner / Hurricane / Who Dunnit
Looking for : JunkYard / Black Knight 2000 / Black Rose

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Re: Question regarding Roms

Postby cap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm

If the new ROM forces a factory reset, I am pretty sure it would be the factory defaults programmed in the new ROMs.
The easy/normal/hard settings are just shortcuts to set multiple individual settings you can control.
Just take a note of your old settings and put them back after you upgrade the ROMs.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Bagdad
MAACA Mage

Postby Bagdad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am

I already have the latest roms installed. I just wondered what would happen if I reset to factory default. I don't know what the previous owner might have change in the settings, so I want to reset it to factory without loosing what the roms could have changed/upgraded.

Nobody knows? :?

Mindstorm88
MAACA Priest

Postby Mindstorm88 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am

you will simply loose the high scores and any settting like free play or 5 ball per game , if for these roms factory settings are at easy yoour gamre will be at easy, that it you can readjust whatever you want after it will not change the gamerules of the new roms !!!

exactely the same as removing the bateery for few minutes !!!

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am

Are we talking recent Stern with a USB stick or an older alpha-numeric or DMD like you own?

For an older machine, the ROMs are complete and self-contained. The code runs from the ROMs, the programming is not copied to some other storage where it could be altered.
So you can't lose anything in the new ROMs. They are permanent by definition.
The only thing that can worry you is losing settings and high scores.
If you factory reset with the new ROMs, you will wipe out everything from the old ROMs and anything the new ROMs could have done to the old settings.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Bagdad
MAACA Mage

Postby Bagdad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Ok, perfect then!

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”