Time to clean my pinball, any simple recommandation?

Have questions on how to fix your machine or what products to use? This is the place to ask for help.
hfpinball
MAACA Silent Type

Time to clean my pinball, any simple recommandation?

Postby hfpinball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:27 am

First time pinball owner, got my Stern Galaxy for about a month now and i think its the time to do a cleanup!

First thing i was thinking to do, is unplug it and pass the vacuum cleaner on the playfield, to remove some dust, particles that might be there. Is this ok or i might get a piece remove by accident?

Now to clean the playfield, this playfield got like a plastic on it to preserve the playfield, what is recommanded product to clean? A simple solution like some home cleaning Lysol and water can do the job or it could damage the plastic? And is any towel material ok?

And im not sure it was waxed before ( it can be done on the plastic? ) , is there any simple stuff i could buy at Canadian Tire that could do the job?

And do i need to oil some parts for maintenance? Id be honest and dont really know what i should oil and how.

So before making any moves, hoping i could get some good suggestion!

Thanks!

dr.nybble
MAACA QuarterPounder

Re: Time to clean my pinball, any simple recommandation?

Postby dr.nybble » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:48 am

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... vids-guide

Avoid lubricating anything unless the manual tells you to. Usually only metal / metal joints may need a light oil.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:05 am

Indeed, vid is the best source of information you can find.
Waxing is good, but not all waxes are good. Read vid's guide carefully.

The plastic protecting the playfield is called mylar.
Never use water on a playfield, it will make the wood swell and crack the art. A lot of products contain water.
You should not oil a solid state pinball machine ever, except maybe a spinner or the plunger. Don't worry about it for now.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

hfpinball
MAACA Silent Type

Postby hfpinball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

Hey thanks for these info, really appreciate. Been reading a bit of vids recommandations, so best bet to do a cleaning of particles and everything is simply a vacuum cleaner, was a bit scare something might come off doing it, but it seem the thing that do most of the job!

I really thought machines need to get lub often lol, guess ill skip that part if this not recommanded. Might put on old waxing, but will read further to get something to clean, there is some parts of the mylar around the bumpers that make a little black circle, dont want to put some stuff on it and see it peels off. The stars switches on the the playfield ( not sure im using the proper terms here ) seem to have some little dust between them, guessing trying to use something like a Q-Tip and some cleaner can do the job?

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:03 am

Electro-mechanical pinballs require oil, but not the solid state machines.
marcospecialties.com calls them Rollover star buttons.
Often, the wax can also be a good cleaner. Make sure you use the right kind of wax. Vid says to stay away from anything containing silicone.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

pharoah007
MAACA Wacko

Postby pharoah007 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Buy some old TOP DVDs and enjoy ;)

(This Old Pinball, the twilight zone one, the Indiana Jones one and I forget the 3rd k e that covers off on DE games)
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky
"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi
"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes
"Friendship is not about what you NEED from the other person."
- Me
I am with us.

hfpinball
MAACA Silent Type

Postby hfpinball » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am

cap wrote:Electro-mechanical pinballs require oil, but not the solid state machines.
marcospecialties.com calls them Rollover star buttons.
Often, the wax can also be a good cleaner. Make sure you use the right kind of wax. Vid says to stay away from anything containing silicone.

Been looking at all the topics from vids, not quite sure what could be a good cleaner and waxer, read a bit that early SS like Stern i might need a different product, not the same wood etc. Is there like a good to go product i could get at Canadian Tire? Im like a bit lost a what exactly i should get, never wax anything tbh. Thinking about calling Alouette , do they carry this stuff for selling?

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Don't give up. The vid threads on pinside are enormous, but they are really worth reading.
Ask for Robert in the parts department at Alouette.
Remember, Novus 2 is abrasive. Lots of people use it, but that does not mean it's the right product for the job.

hfpinball
MAACA Silent Type

Postby hfpinball » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks cap , will read a bit more about them, think ill call Alouette this week just to make sure im getting a good product for it. Dont want to get something that will remove the mylar on it, there seem to be some product that do that.

Return to “Pinball and Videogame Tech”